Chapter Twenty Six: First Date

~MARIELLE~

  Mingi and I were headed down the street to get lunch. He was holding my hand, our fingers laced together. I leaned my head on his arm lightly. I heard a quiet giggle come from him. I looked up, he was blushing.

  "Hi." I said, making him look down at me. "Aww. So cute."

  He blushed again, giggling again.

  "Where do you want to go for lunch?" I asked him. "We can go anywhere. What do you feel like?"

  "There's a diner near by. They have really good burgers." Mingi said. "We could get burgers. I'm really hungry."

  I laughed lightly.

  "Yeah! Sounds good, burgers sound great." I agreed. "I want some fries."

  Mingi lead me to the diner. We got seated at a booth, sitting down across from each other.

  "Ooh, all the burgers look SUPER good." I said, looking over the menu.

  We both order quickly, and then sip our sodas as we wait for our food. 

  "Can you believe she thinks she's good enough for him?" I could hear the girls behind us murmuring. "She's not even pretty."

  Mingi was looking at me with a sad look on his face. He had heard them, and we both knew they were talking about me. I could tell that he felt bad. I took his hand gently, and smiled, shaking my head.

  "Don't worry about it." I said softly. "I've heard worse. Don't worry about it."

  I could hear them muttering about me while we waited. Our food got there quickly. We started eating.

  "Maybe it's what he deserves though, at least he found someone to put up with all his scars and stuff."

  I looked up at Mingi just in time to see a tear fall down his cheek. I stood up, grabbing the girl that had made the nasty comment about Mingi by her hair.

  "Is there a problem?" I asked.

  "Ow! Let me go! What the hell?! You're hurting me!" The girl whined.

  "I said, is there a problem?" I demanded. "Because you obviously know who he is. And if you actually cared about him, you would know that the comment you just made was mean, and uncalled for. You can't be jealous of me dating him, and say nasty things about his scars in the same breath, you bitch."

  She was still trying to get me to let go of her hair. 

  "Song Mingi is a kindhearted, loving individual who was put through HELL. But he's still alive and still trying to make you selfish brats happy. You shouldn't call yourself an ATINY, you don't deserve that title." I spat. "So if you don't know the whole situation, keep your comments to yourself."

  I let her go, shoving her head forward. I asked our waiter for a box, and sat back down in the booth.

  Mingi was staring at me, I could feel it.

  "I'm just going to pack up my food and go. Sorry." I murmured.

  "I'll go too. I want to go home." Mingi whispered.

  We were brought boxes, and we packed up our food, paid quickly, and left.

  "Will you walk me home?" Mingi asked softly. "Please?"

  "You... want me to walk you home?" I asked. "I didn't scare you off?"

  "No... You stood up for me, and-" He sniffled. "Thank you..."

  Mingi took my hand again, squeezing it tight.

  "Please walk me home." He whispered. 

  "Of course I will." I agreed, nodding.

  He led me towards the dorm in silence. 

  "How can you look past them?" He whispered. "How can you ignore all my scars?"

  I sighed, biting my lip a little.

  "I've been through some stuff. I'll... Show you. But we have to get back to the dorm first. Okay?" I said.

  Mingi nodded.

  We walked back to the Ateez dorm in silence.

  "You can come in if you want. The others are all at practice." Mingi said. "So no one is home."

  I nodded. He unlocked the door, letting us both in. He put our leftovers in the refrigerator. 

  "Okay, umm. Hang on." I said. "I can show you."

  I gently pulled off my tshirt, leaving myself in my sports bra. I turned my back to him, showing off all the scars that littered my back. I heard Mingi gasp quietly.

  "What- who-" He came over. "Can I-?"

  "They don't hurt anymore." I shrugged. "My dad was a drinker. And I was the only one around when he got angry. It was a long time ago. I'm okay." 

  Mingi gently ran his fingers over my scars.

  "This is how I can look past them. They don't matter to me. I have scars too." I said.

  "They don't make you any less beautiful..." Mingi whispered.

  I turned around, facing him.

  "That's how I feel about you. They don't change how you look." I told him. "You're still you."

  Mingi pulled me close, hugging me tightly.

  "Thank you." He said softly. He held me close.

  I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him back.