Chapter 19: You've Been Gone

GABRIELLE'S POV

  I decided to give my father a tour of my house. He really seemed to be taking in every single detail, almost as if he was trying to remember everything.
  When we made it to my room, I let him walk in first and then I walked in next.

  Dad looked around and noticed the pictures on my wall. There were some from events with the family, others from my best concerts, award shows, and even with just Justin and I.

  Dad said,"For all the pictures that are up here, princess, there's none of me or Jeremiah."

  I could tell he was hurt, but I said,"Sit down, daddy. You're going to need to sit down to hear this."

  Dad slowly sat down which reminded me of Justin. Justin did the same thing at the award show a couple of weeks ago. Now, my father was doing it, because he didn't know what I was about to tell him. He didn't know whether to run or not.

  I said,"Since you're here, you were never dead. It's been four years, daddy. It's been four years since our family had to learn to be without you. After you "died," I was in a real rough place. I thought I had a handle on things, but I didn't. I never did. So, Mom thought it was best to get me some help. She wasn't wrong. I had nightmares every night. Mom had to take off several days from work just because she was so convinced that I would just end everything. She was right for thinking that way because I would have. I lost you, dad."

  Dad was already in tears, and I said,"If you've been alive this whole time, how come you never came here? Why put me through these years of so much pain?"

  I actually wanted an answer from my father. I needed to know why he hadn't been here for four years. I also needed to know what Vixen said to him to keep him away. Jeremiah, too.

  Dad stood up and walked up to me.

  He slowly cupped my face, and I had forgotten what it was like to feel his touch again. I had missed it. I really did.

  I wrapped my hands around dad's wrists and tightened my grip saying,"Daddy, just tell me why you haven't been here. I have to know. I have to."

  Dad said with tears pouring down his face,"It happened about a couple of hours after you left for your concert. I knew how much Vixen had hurt you, but she had confronted me about you. She told me things a father never wanted to hear concerning his daughter, but I knew none of those things were true. Yet, she told me how she was going to take everything away from you. She said the way to do that was to take me from you. Honestly, I don't remember what happened after that. I remember waking up and Vixen's father telling me that I was dead now. I had to stay away from my outside family. I had to stay away from your mother. I had to stay away from you. I tried to contact you or find some way to get to you many times, princess, but I didn't want to risk making things worse for you. Vixen's parents could have destroyed everything for you and your mother, so I did everything they asked. I didn't know about Jeremiah, until he found me."

  When my father finished speaking, it was a lot to take in. Vixen's powerful parents were a part of this as well. I wasn't surprised to hear it, but I was glad dad was here now. There was no point of me being mad with my father, because I didn't know when I would lose him permanently.

  I just hugged dad and said,"Thank you for thinking about me. I'm sorry you had to see that fight between me and Vixen."

  Dad shook his head saying,"That was the first time I had seen you stand up for yourself when it came to her. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself, but there was-"

  "Probably another way for me to do it. I know."

  Dad just continued to hug me and said,"So, you and Justin are together? I'm jealous."

  I laughed saying,"It's good to have you back, daddy. It's good to have you back."