🍬 Gluten-free Candy Options 🍫 ~ Crystal

Christmas is coming and I bet we are all going to want candy with our hot chocolate. I believe this list I put together is really beneficial for the people that need it.

First things first....

Disclaimer: At the time of posting this, these candies below were marked or were considered gluten-free by their companies. Please check the labels and do your own research to avoid having a serious allergic reaction to a brand if their ingredients have changed.

Okay, now we got that aside, let's ask our first question.

What is gluten?

"Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat (wheatberries, durum, emmer, semolina, spelt, farina, farro, graham, KAMUT® khorasan wheat and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale – a cross between wheat and rye. Gluten helps foods maintain their shape, acting as a glue that holds food together. Gluten can be found in many types of foods, even ones that would not be expected." (From celiac.org)

What's a gluten-free claim?

Well, quoting Hershey's website, it is "a food bearing a gluten-free claim does not contain the protein from wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, triticale, farina, vital gluten semolina, malt vinegar or protein derivatives of these foods, or, if such grain is present, the level of such gluten protein has been reduced to less than 20 parts per million."

Honestly, I use to get all of these questions all of the time. My teacher at college didn't even know what gluten was, but tried to look for candy that was gluten-free for the last day of class. She was so nice ❤️

Okay, back to the point. I'm assuming you're here because you have an issue with gluten. If you're on a Gluten-free diet or suffer from Celiac's Disease, do you ever find yourself intimidated? Or craving that one candy, but wasn't sure if you could have it?

 If you're on a Gluten-free diet or suffer from Celiac's Disease, do you ever find yourself intimidated? Or craving that one candy, but wasn't sure if you could have it?

It's hard. I previously had to be on a strict gluten-free diet for most of 2019 when I was trying to figure out what my body could not have. Because of this, I had to do some research to know which candies are gluten-free and which ones are not. This wasn't only to for me to be able to eat them, but also to know which ones to avoid.

FUN FACT: Kit-Kat and Twix are for sure not safe as they contain lots of gluten!

Do you realize how much candy is offered that contains gluten everyday? I had to eat tortilla chips and only like one kind of candy at a Halloween party earlier this year. It's miserable watching everyone else eat while you can't. You need to be better prepared than I was. Thankfully, I found that there are many more popular brands that offer gluten-free candy than I thought.