Chapter 1~Hazel

If I could change one thing, it would be accepting to come to this school in the first place. Holyfield college was a strict religious school with a whole lot of disciplinarians and rules that were so annoying. One, girls did not wear pants. Two, a girl couldn't cuddle with a guy in public and not get a death sentence. Okay, the death sentence was a lie, but there would be a punishment for it.

Father had always wanted me to school where Christianity wouldn't be far away from me. He feared I'd get into a public university and become Jezebel. He was a strict Christian, which explained why my name is Hephzibah.

What was the first thing that came to your mind when you heard the name Hephzibah? The mother of Manasseh in the Bible right? Perhaps an aspiring nun. Tsk! You also thought I'd be a strict Christian like my father yeah? I was, but not as strict as my father.

My best friend attended Holyfield college and she said it was not as bad as I thought. Maybe I should stop being overdramatic and deal with the fact that I'd be going there for the next four years. Mother knew I wanted a university, but who was she to object when father had spoken?

Yep, that was how my house worked. Women did not have a say in decision making and there was no such thing as gender equality. Father said men were the head and women were under them just as men were under God. Mother was a submissive housewife because father didn't want her to work or be independent.

He was strict!

I couldn't even use words like damn, fuck, or shit. One time father heard me saying it over the phone and punished me for it.

My phone?

I was surprised I even had a smartphone because my father said, "It's called a smartphone, but the people using it are dumb and it's a means for the devil to corrupt you."

He said and I quote, "Once you're too engulfed in your phone then it becomes your god which is a sin because the Lord forbids it."

Now you see why I was happy to be done with high school, but then Holyfield college came and crushed my dreams of freedom. I'd still have no songs sung by Beyonce or Rihanna on my phone. I guess you already know why, father!

He said, "Hephzibah, you're 19 and should be aging with the Lord and not with the things of this Earth. Listen to Bible audios every day and night."

Okay, thinking about my father was enough. It was already driving me crazy. I have not even spoken about him not letting me out of his sight. I was always at home like a prisoner.

"Hi, are you ok?" My new roommate asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You've been staring out of the window since you came-" she paused and gave me a perfect dimpled smile. "I thought you were just watching your parents leave our dorm but I noticed you zoned out," she continued with her perfect Hazel eyes, shining brighter than the sun.

I only responded with a fake smile.

"My name is Hazel, I'm from Australia what about you?"

Ah, they named her after her beautiful, captivating hazel eyes.

"I'm-" I hesitated for a while and my eyes caught her beautiful shelf of books.

"Hephzibah! Her name is Hephzibah," my twin sister said joyfully, dragging her box into the room.

My twin sister, Debby was a bubbly miscreant and for some reason, I felt father loved her more, I didn't know if it was true, but If there'd be any prodigal daughter it'd be her. People usually think I'm not bubbly, I was, but I had a taste for freedom.

Debby obeyed dad, but she was kinda stubborn. Do not allow her sweet smile and melodious voice deceive you.

"And I'm Debby." She continued with her right hand stretched out to-what did she say her name was again? Oh, I remembered–Hazel.