Chapter 11

Evelyn's hold on my wrist softened and her eyes were brown again.

"I was just showing her the beauty of nature." She spun to face Mandy with a smile that looked nothing, but fake.

Mandy studied her for a minute before pulling me away from Evelyn. She then whispered into my ear, "You should stay away from this weirdo for your mental health."

Her voice scratched against the inside of my brain and I tried my best to keep a straight face.

"What do you mean?" I asked, knitting my brows into a frown as I watched Mandy coming unusually close to my body.

"She's possessed," she whispered and it echoed in my head, igniting my memory with flashbacks of how Evelyn was everywhere I went, her eyes always turning pitch black when ever she wanted to tell me stuff.

I froze, feeling the night breeze embracing me and pricking my skin like a thousand needles.

"What was she telling you?" Evelyn peered over my shoulder and I jerked, turning to face her with a hand grasping my chest.

"Nothing," I said shortly and walked away from her.

I stared at the burning fire from afar with thoughts spiraling out of control in my head. I could feel my eyes becoming heavy with tears that needed to flow down, but no. Not tonight.

Comfortably, I sat on the floor with my back against a tree and my arms around my knees. Who was I to trust and who was I to actually stay away from?

Evelyn was a nice friend and always saved me from harm. At some point, I was beginning to think she was actually my guardian angel. Mandy on the other hand, had attributes of something suspicious I couldn't place my fingers on.

"Hey." A familiar voice drew me out of my trance and I looked up to see him wearing the friendliest expression ever. "Why are you alone?"

"Nothing," I managed to say, plastering a half smile on my face.

"Wanna go for a walk?" He asked and I hesitated for a minute, searching the place for Evelyn.

Instantly, we locked gazes and she shook her head in dismay, signaling for me to turn down his offer. She was in the midst of two ginger head boys who were engrossed in the conversation they were having with a red cup in her hand. Her eyes reflected the fire in our midst and I tried to break the eye contact, but I felt paralyzed once again.

She mouthed, "Say no" once again and pointed at her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Kelvin questioned, putting a hand on my shoulder. That was all I needed for the paralysis to be gone. I nodded and extended my hand to him so he could help me off the ground.

Who was Evelyn? I was beginning to think what Mandy said was true.

"Shall we?" Kelvin pointed towards a path in the woods and I nodded, lifting my legs to take the first step forward.

I could see Evelyn face palming from the corners of my eyes and a thought flew across me. Evelyn might be jealous, simply because she had a crush on kelvin. Right.

"So, what kind of movies do you like to watch?" Kelvin asked, walking slowly beside me with his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Anything that'd make me laugh." I shrugged.

"Have you seen dumb and dumber?" He asked and I shook my head. "Ted?"

"Not really. Father said they used a lot of uncensored words in the movie so I was asked not watch it." I explained, feeling a bit embarrassed that my father still controlled me like a stringed puppet.