LI | Divorce

Alexander reached out, prepared to press the door bell once more, but before he could do so, the door was pulled open. He looked into the house instinctively, and inside, Isabelle was thoroughly drenched, holding on a tissue, dabbing her eyes. His heart yanked, and he fell into a frenzy.

Had she found out about James's incident..?

"Izzy..." Alexander was about to coax her but he paused, not knowing how to continue after calling her name.

Ever since he was young, he had never spoken much, and in the face of the only girl he loved crying, his mind turned blank. How was he supposed to coax her?

The moment Isabelle heard his voice, she froze, lifting her head to look at him. She blinked incredulously, and in that moment, two tears streamed down her face.

Alexander started to panic. His mind slowed down, and he opened his mouth, but nothing came out. His mind was in a mess and an impulse to beat James begun to form.

He tensed, his hands clenching into fists, while he desperately tried to suppress his heartache.

In the end, Alexander still wasn't able to think of how to comfort Isabelle, so he decided to pull her into a silent embrace. Before his hand could even reach out though, Isabelle, who was still tearing, broke into a wide smile. In a clear voice with obvious surprise, she asked, "Alexander, why are you here?"

Isabelle's sudden smile seemed to have shocked his brain into a daze, and his hand paused in mid air. His gaze focused on her face, taking in the moisture in her eyes.

Why was she crying and smiling... Did James's abandonment agitate her so much?

Alexander's heart started to ache once more, but his mind was still blank, he was still unable to find words to comfort her. With the door open, the cold breeze blew in continuously, sending a shiver through her soaked body.

In that instance, Alexander seemed to have come back to his senses. He picked her up and walked up the stairs to the bathroom on the second floor, placing her in the bathtub. Opening the tap, he adjusted the temperature before placing the hose in her hands. "Take a hot shower, it'll keep the cold away."

Turning, he left the bathroom.

Before he left though, he didn't forget to switch on the bathroom heater.

The moment Isabelle left the shower, she saw Alexander carrying a cup of ginger tea up.

He passed it over to her, then after picking up a hairdryer, he started to blow dry her hair.

The buzz from the hairdryer was loud, so they didn't speak, the atmosphere returning back to when they were still living together as a couple.

Isabelle took a sip of the ginger tea, and warmth spread from her chest to all over her body.

When Alexander was done, he arranged the cord before placing the hairdryer back on the shelf.

Without the buzz the room sank into silence, only the sound of soft rain fall entering from outside.

Alexander stood in front of Isabelle, watching as she sipped the ginger tea slowly. Only then did a phrase to show his concern spring into his blank mind. "Izzy, are you all right?"

"I'm good..."

Isabelle treated his question as a casual greeting. After finishing the cup, she placed it back on the table and lifted her face to smile at him.

Before she had been carried to the bathroom by Alexander, she had wanted to ask him, "Alexander, aren't you in Hong Kong? Don't you have a meeting tomorrow? Why are you suddenly back here?"