Chapter 17

"This is for you," Vivian flashed a generous smile as she presented a wrapped package to me. My eyes had been on the television in the staffroom.

She was quiet for a while, giving me the impression that the package came from school management, or someone asked her to drop it with me. Not sure what it might be, I stared at her for clues. Then I figured out it might be a gift from her.

"Oh, this is unnecessary."

"It's just a token. Everyone appreciates your efforts; so I thought of giving you something."

"Token for my efforts? Is she doing this to remind me not to take her job?" With my energetic displays and never-seen-before drive around the school premises, she didn't stand a chance to compete.

I thought her gift passed a hidden message I couldn't make out yet. Just as imagined, she didn't keep me guessing for long.

"Frankly, we've not seen someone who taught students with your kind of passion. That you take them to the sports ground in the morning and still go to the classes three times a day is unbelievable."

"Thanks for your kind words. You are such a wonderful lady yourself. Not many teachers would welcome me the way you did. I was impressed with your openness."

The beautiful lady blushed as I said those words. And the unfolding scene didn't go unnoticed by the interns in the room. They watched the display of emotions with keenness.

Mrs Avo's jaw dropped, just as the pen in her hand. I ignored those jealous eyes and praised Vivian some more. The lady had truly impressed me.

"I wish I knew your man. I would have asked him not to consider looking elsewhere for a partner. He must hold on to you strongly for the rest of his life."

She blinked repeatedly, turned away as her face became surly. Did I hurt her?

All I said was to express how lucky her man had been. Such a beautiful lady should definitely have men flocking around her in dozens.

I wished I could take back my words, but she then brightened up, raised her brows and turned towards me.

"It might sound funny, but I don't have a man right now," she said, almost in a whisper.

I turned askance at her to repeat the statement. She did.

"Well, hard to believe, but I'm single; solo-solo, fully lonely and completely unattached. I live alone, sleep alone and wake up lonely every day. My flat is just outside Glenmore. The building is called Vintage Quarters, and it's a walking distance from the restaurant you visited last Friday. Should you want to come, you are free to do so anytime. And I wonder why you won't want to have a coffee with me at home. I live in a two bedroom flat, all by myself. Monday to Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can visit."

It was my turn to blink. Never had she given details about herself in that confident manner, and all in a few seconds. I wasn't sure how to reply.

Vivian must have been thinking of inviting me for long. Definitely, her gift symbolized a token of affection, not for my effort as earlier portrayed. It was rather off-putting that she would pass subliminal romantic messages to me, despite knowing about my Yenzo.

The other time the rumour mill ran a promo accusing me of being a paedophile, I'd hoped she would provide succour, but she sided with them. It did hurt that the rapport between us was kept on hold because of personal interest. I thought she was sly.

Since she'd come out to show her interest, offering gifts, and inviting me to her 'solo-solo' two bedroom apartment, I had a decision to make. Ladies generally detested being ignored, especially after making the first move. And for a next-door colleague like Vivian, she wouldn't hesitate to lash out.