Chapter 6

Landmark Community School (LCS), the only high school in Glenmore sat on a big compound mostly covered in grass. A wire mesh fenced the compound and a security post stood at one end. The premises looked well maintained and suitable for academics. Huts, orchards and farmhouses surrounded the school though tens of metres away.

"Big school in a cold and windy environment." I voiced out my first impression as we moved through the security post.

Mr Roddak nodded. "It's always windy here. During winter, it blows cold. In summer, it blows hot. But we sometimes have cold days in summer. And at night, it's always cold no matter the season. You'll have to protect yourself from harsh weather."

The man took me around the school premises giving me a general idea of how it functioned. Three student buildings stood parallel to each other. The fourth, the Admin Block, was for the management staff. Mr Roddak, the vice-principal and other clerical staff had their offices there.

The last structure, the Staff Block, stood further down from other buildings. It had a large space in front for parking cars. All the buildings had paved cemented areas for walking.

The principal must have put a lot of energy into making the school suitable for studies. Maintaining such a compound in a village didn't come easy. I looked at the man and nodded twice. "I'm here to work, sir."

"We need your skills, Mr Mutetey. You come highly recommended from Dekkers. Please don't disappoint us." Though he looked composed, I sensed a tone of helplessness in his voice.

It was hard to tell if he was black, coloured or white. His light complexion suggested that he was of mixed race. And his pointed pencil-length nose gave him away as a Caucasian. But then, he spoke Xhosa with the accent of someone raised in Qunu. I gave up trying to ask where he originated. Such a question might even make him doubt my competence.

With the cursory survey around the school over, he led me to the vice-principal's office.

"Here is the man we've been expecting – Mister Mutetey. He'll be here for four weeks."

Her face glittered as she turned around to size me up.

"Oh, a giant in the school," she said. The two schoolgirls with her stretched their necks to catch a glimpse.

As we traded greetings, the vice-principal reminded me of my mother. She sounded like a caring woman who looked after everyone working with her.

"I'm happy to meet you, ma'am." I bowed slightly.

"Welcome, my son. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here."

Her smile was natural – the type a mother flashed to her kid when pleased. She was likely in her late fifties or early sixties. Her grey hair, dropping cheeks and plump stature indicated so.

"She will be the one to provide your groceries," the principal said.

"Okay, sir." I recalled having been told at Dekkers that the school would provide for my feeding and accommodation.

The vice-principal dug into her drawer and brought out a sheet of paper which she pointed at me. "Take this and go through."

I collected it with both hands and scanned through – a code-of-conduct document meant to guide temporary staff and consultants like me.

Amidst other directives, I found the third item on the list rather amusing:

"Teachers are forbidden to have romantic affairs with their students; whether or not the teacher teaches such student(s)."

I downplayed the instruction knowing that I didn't need to be reminded. Their students wouldn't even appeal to me, so, the question of dating them would not arise. Those standing around the woman even looked unappetizing.