Chapter 7

Finally, I found myself in the grade-twelve students' class after the early morning assembly. Those were the main targets for the curriculum change, so I had to pay special attention to the manner they would receive me.

Their Matric exams would come up later in the year, and the question papers would include topics recently added to the syllabus. Having been treated to a warm welcome by the teaching staff, I eagerly looked forward to meeting the young folks.

I had no formal training as an educator, but talking to students shouldn't be a problem, especially on a familiar subject like Mathematics. Experience from several outings with my office marketers would be put to use.

Besides, Dekkers organised periodic seminars to shore up our skills on making presentations and conducting training. Those months of tutelage should be helpful with my tasks here in Landmark.

Before we got into the class, Mr Roddak cautioned.

"The grade-twelve students are not disciplined. That they are in their final year gets into their heads. You must handle them firmly and with the seriousness that this task deserves. If not, they will get out of hands, after which redeeming them would be tough. Being a new face, you have a chance to keep them disciplined."

I wasn't sure why he had to say that. Grade-twelve students in most high schools had their peculiarities. I was eager to see how unruly these would be.

We met a disorderly class and lots of empty seats when we stepped in. Those present had rearranged their desks in a circular manner as if in a United Nations arms proliferation conference.

Seeing that the principal was around, and had come with a new face, they quickly rallied around to straighten things up.

Evidently, they weren't expecting Mr Roddak at that time of the day. Closing time was near, and they all looked tired. Reluctantly, they dragged their feet and furniture on the cement floor raising dust as they did so.

A few girls brought out cosmetic boxes to improve the conditions of their faces. Not even the principal's presence stopped them from doing so. In no time they appeared bold and beautiful.

A volunteer quickly offered to clean the chalkboard which had all kinds of inscriptions written all over.

With just a gaze, I saw some interesting expressions:

"Only one year left before promise land."; "Go for a pregnancy test, you might not be sure.";"School today, pleasure tomorrow."

The naughty ones among them had written the names they called me earlier on the chalkboard. I smiled, recalling how naughty I was in high school.

After five minutes or so, they dropped to their seats, ready to listen to the principal. The look on the man's face made me think he was out of ideas on enforcing discipline.

He raised both hands. "Hello, class."

"Hello, sir."

"You have a new Maths teacher; the man standing beside me. He will take you through the concepts in the new CAPS curriculum, and he will be with us for a month."

Many of the pupils weren't listening. The boys got distracted that my head was very close to the ceiling. They smiled and raised their hands above their heads, just as before. Luckily, the class didn't have a ceiling fan. I would have been forced to wait at the door entrance.

The girls rolled their eyes, flashed lopsided smiles, and exchanged curious glances. The mindful ones clasped their legs together, while those too tired to bother sat with their legs parted. Their short skirts exposed a good portion of their thighs.