Chapter 4

We cruised into Port Elizabeth at around 5:45 p.m. Skyscrapers and cool sea breeze welcomed us to the city and got us scampering for our jackets. My lower lip quivered like isolated acacia leaves. But my supercharged drive indicated the eagerness to get to my destination.

In the distance, outlines of undulating mountains dotted the landscape. The tall trees around complemented the beautiful natural sceneries. I took time out to appreciate what nature offered in this part of the country. One didn't see such in the crowded streets of central Johannesburg where noise from commercial taxis greeted us daily morning and evening.

The vehicle parked at the bus-station on Flemming-North Union Street. A few minutes earlier, Pumani had opened his eyes to find me chatting with Cindy. He hung his ear-phone over, connected it to his phone, and selected a hip-hop mix-tape. With the curious look on his face, he seemed to be asking: "I thought you said your girlfriend is safe with you?"

I nodded to his unspoken question. He then waved at Cindy and she acknowledged his greetings.

"I'm going to Alexandria," Cindy announced, looking at me with her conquered eyes and a wide grin. It wasn't hard to see that she enjoyed my company. Her repeated blushes and all-over-the-place gestures indicate it.

"Glenmore by Grahamstown is my final destination," I said.

The glint on her face faded off as those words dropped. "Did she think we are going to the same town?" I found it amusing how she'd assumed so much within a short time. But I couldn't change my destination for any reason, of course.

I reckoned that I would face a lot of situation like this in Port-Elizabeth. Ladies would come my way, and to turn them down would be my only option. Being in the Eastern Cape represented a real test of my love for Yenzo. And I would have to make many tough decisions in the next few weeks to stay committed. Cheating on that girl was out of the question.

Having dismounted the bus and recovered my bags from the luggage compartment, I spotted a secluded area close to the arrivals section and pulled my bags there. Pumlani followed suit.

I'd imagined the temperature to be five degrees centigrade inside the bus. But outside, it felt like zero degrees or less. And the cold came with furious winds that threatened to hijack any lightweight object.

Papers and dust flung around, forcing the commuters to clasp unto their clothes and belongings. Ladies clutched to their chemises and held tight onto their Brazilian weave-on, lest the winds exposed their scalps.

On my part, I dropped my sleeves and buttoned up my leather jacket to cover my neck. I'd never been a winter fan; so the cold winds got me thinking if I could cope. Reporting sick at the school wasn't part of the plan. Expectations ran high at the office, and the only report my boss wanted to read was that I'd successfully executed the project.

"So, who is this one?" Pumlani asked, digging into my thoughts.

"We met on the bus."

With raised brows, he gave me the 'common, you know what I'm talking about' look.

"Don't be funny. We were just chatting."

The guy looked loyal. Just a trip from Johannesburg had prompted him to ask such a question about my woman. I thought he would be a good friend; so we exchanged numbers.

"Catch you soon, broer."

"Sure." Since we worked for the same company, we'd see again, I imagined.

A few yards away, I recalled that Cindy had mentioned the same town Pumlani was headed, so I called him while pointing to her. "She is going towards the same direction." He looked at me, smiled and trudged on like someone familiar with the area.