Chapter 8

I returned to the staffroom in bouncy strides, sat in my corner, and started reflecting on the things I'd seen in Landmark so far. That vibration from the students got me encouraged. If they could shout that loudly, it showed they had made up their minds for the tasks ahead. That should make my job easy.

Having introduced me to staff around the school in that manner, the principal definitely had high expectations. He confirmed it when he said I must hit the ground running.

I would later find out that apart from the curriculum change that brought me here, his school had been recording the lowest performances in Maths in the district for long. Also, students' unruliness had made reforms difficult. I was ready for the challenges, I thought.

I had to cross the hurdle of adapting to the new environment. The windy and chilly conditions in the village were at a different level from those I was familiar with. I hoped they won't bring up niggling health issues that would hinder me from achieving my goals. I had just this day to sort out all personal issues and return to the classroom the following day.

I brought out the academic materials recommended by Dekkers and placed them on the table, ready to do a quick review of my strategy.

My new colleagues had been waiting for me to return to the staffroom before hurling questions at me.

"Where are you from? How tall are you?" two lady interns asked at the same time.

"Johannesburg," I said, looking around for the questioner. As for the other question, I simply ignored it.

Then questions came in torrents:

"Are you married?"; "Do you like dating young girls?"; "How long will you be here?"; "What is the size of your shoes?"; "Do you speak Xhosa?"

I ignored most of the questions and replied those I could with no emotions. I must have sounded unconvincing because curious eyes descended on me from all directions. Bringing to mind that it was my first day, I maintained a smiley face.

My desk stood next to Vivian's and she had until now concentrated on marking scripts. I moved over for her to fill me in on all I needed to know about the school. She would also do well to give me a lowdown on her experience teaching the grade-twelve students.

"It's a no-talk day for you today, Miss Riles?"

She let out a smile. "Just a bit busy." The reflective glasses effectively concealed her eyes, but her generous smile gave me an idea where her gazes were directed.

"How does one survive in your school?"

She dropped her pen, reclined on the backrest, crossed her legs, and turned towards me with arms folded. She must have been waiting to be asked because her initial indifference about her colleagues' cross-examination took a back seat.

"Please, come."

Vivian got off the chair and held my hand as we walked out of the staffroom. Not a few eyes followed us as we walked side-by-side.

She narrated her understanding of how the school functioned – much of what the principal didn't mention. Her experience teaching the students took the largest chunk of her briefing. She also mentioned the places I could go to get things done: the photocopying room, meeting room, presentation room, the school hall, library, village clinic and so on.

As we moved around, she smiled a lot and walked delightfully.

"Samson, adjust your collar," she said to a boy who ran across the lawn. She also waved at those students who greeted us.

Vivian held nothing back and discussed with me as if we'd known each other for more than five years. Apart from the official issues which I was keen to know about, she let me into her personal life.