Chapter 15

Sunday was quiet; it had been a while since I had the whole day to myself. I couldn't go to church since I located none around the school. Going by reports, the only place of worship available was closer to the neighbouring village, Centane.

I'd never been a regular church-goer, anyway. Back in Rosebank, only when serious personal issues bedevilled me did I remember that the church was two streets away.

As everything was going on well for me here in Glenmore, the congregation could go on singing praises of the Lord without me.

I spent the better part of the day chatting with Yenzo and we enjoyed a two and a half hour phone conversation. When network connection issues came up, we resorted to instant messaging.

"Yenzo, Menzo. My one and only cantankerous damsel."

"Call me whatever you wish. I hope you are behaving like a gentleman over there."

"Of course, I am. I see your name in the skies every time I look upwards. You are the best thing to happen to Africa."

"la..la..la.. You are in a good mood today, right?"

"Always in a good mood when talking to my cool babe. You know that, don't you?"

"Did you go to church?"

"I shouldn't be here now if I did. But I searched around, asked about, missed my way and turned back when I got lost. Then I retraced my steps and was told that it's closer to the next village—"

"Cut the long story short, you didn't."

"No, because I don't want to appear on the state television as the man who got lost looking for a place of worship. I quickly negotiated with my feet to take me back home. After all, God answers prayers everywhere."

"Good point, but I hope it's true."

"You hope? Have I ever lied to you before?"

"Well, only sixty-two times."

"Fair enough. Not a hundred yet."

I showered praise on her for being present in my life. Sometimes, we didn't appreciate people until when far from them. Being hundreds of miles away from my woman, I realised how much I missed the times we spent together in Johannesburg. Fond memories of our exploits filled my heart this day, and I reassured her that she had built a mansion in my heart where she belonged.

"If you remain the person you are, not changing one bit, nothing would come between us."

Yenzo yelled in joy at my choice of words, but the frailty of her voice was hard to miss. My sweetheart was love-sick. All the same, hearing her familiar voice tickled me to bits. But it wasn't my ears alone doing the listening. The bulge in my trousers heard her voice too, and it responded with a standing ovation.

"Goodbye, my love," she said before signing out. Her last words had come through in whimpers.

Listening to her sobs hurt me. I hadn't been calling her regularly because frequent phone calls do Jo'burg many times in a day would quell my zeal on the students. So, the long weekend calls still sounded fair for now.

Later in the evening, as I was drawing up plans for the coming week, I had cause to think about my first week's activities in Glenmore. I scored myself a pass mark about my conducts and dedication to my duties.

I maintained a cordial and formal relationship with my students; not once did I have reasons to meet any of them privately.

Mike definitely won't believe that I didn't hobnob with my students. He always thought I couldn't cope without a lady by my side. To him, that I stayed loyal to Yenzo for two years was a miracle. But here Jack stood keeping his libido in check. Anytime my trouser bulged too hard, I poured cold water on it, and that always kept it silenced.