Chapter 12

Interacting with the students daily gave me an opportunity to know them better. Maths became a subject they didn't want to miss. Within three days, I'd learned their names by heart, surnames included.

While classes held, my approach was simple but effective. I used popular solution techniques, solved some questions from textbooks and tackled past exam questions. Then it would be their turn to attempt questions on the chalkboard. I would call on them randomly to help us out.

At first, they felt shy to write on the chalkboard, but they got used to it over time. Those who solved the questions correctly got rewarded with a round of applause. And the ones who couldn't attempt it weren't shamed. I asked them to return to their seats and do better next time.

"Let me see your solution, Mandy." She moved her book closer to me.

Seeing that her work prompted a frown, she asked: "Is it wrong?"

"No, it's not wrong, Mandy. It's just that you are forty kilometres away from the correct answer."

"That's too far, sir."

"Then, find your way home." She laughed and attempted the question a second time.

I also went to each student's desk to assess their work. I had to be sure they made efforts at solving the questions. Copying from the next person wasn't allowed. They had to be confident in their own skins.

While they got the puzzles right, I used nice superlatives to tickle them. I used words like: 'amazing', 'fantastic', 'beautiful', 'good.' The girls always liked to hear the word 'beautiful'. That got them blushing every time. But it also made them double their efforts.

As I injected elements of humour, the subject was made fun. Real world scenarios were used to make the lessons more interactive. All foreign-sounding names and locations mentioned in textbooks were changed to local ones. Illustrations were used from things found around the school. My approach stuck with them, and they always looked forward to attending my classes.

As we worked hard on the playground to keep fit, we grilled it out in the classes. One blip of theirs that got my attention was that the students carried their ego a step too far. They didn't see the need to ask their peers for help when they couldn't solve a problem. To address that, I introduced motivational speeches to support the classwork.

"When I'm not in the class, and you have questions, you can bring them to me in the staffroom. If I'm less busy, I'll solve them for you. But it's good when you discuss with your classmates first. When you help each other with the questions, you'll understand Maths better. It will improve your techniques and update your skills. Remember, you don't have much time to grab all the topics. Your Matric exam is not far away."

They picked up the habit of sitting in groups to rub minds. It tickled me to see that they took their lessons seriously. I felt encouraged to influence them the more.

But as they got more comfortable with my methods, they also wanted to get closer to me. And, as they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

On Thursday, three days after I started taking lessons, a girl got bold enough to give me a romantic wink. I had only asked her to do what they were now familiar with.

"Yes, Anelisa Mokoena. Solve that little question on the chalkboard."

She turned on a bright face, came forward and grabbed the chalk from me. In doing so, she winked at me, pouted and brought out her tongue.

A certified lady slayer like me couldn't have misunderstood her intentions. But I'd taken up the visage of a disciplined teacher the first day lessons started. I ignored her seductive gestures by turning away.