The only baffling issue was the note pasted on my door the day before. Choosing to discuss it with my students could give them the impression that pranks troubled me. I'd rather keep my worries to myself.

But which one of them had the guts to tell me that I could run but couldn't hide? Was it about some knotty Maths problems? Or some of them sought to have a personal relationship me? I would be on the watch out for further clues.

Knock. Knock.

Mr Madiba was at the door. "Umfundisi, " he called by the local name for a teacher.

"Yes, sir." I opened the main door, leaving the half-door untouched.

"You always busy day by day. After school, you lock up in the room. You don't have time to drink with me. Today is Sunday, and my wife did a special meal for us. School closed today, so no excuse for you. Please come, we have chairs outside."

The man was right. It'd been a week since I got introduced to him, but we hadn't met since then. I didn't have much to say in protest. I felt like joining him this afternoon.

"Okay, sir."

With my jeans and sandals on, I came out to the veranda to find that a few people were seated already.

On one side, Madiba sat alone on the bench waiting for me to join him. On the other side of the meadow, his wife watched over a fire pot. She then returned to a long bench where two girls sat, one being the caregiver who attended to my injury the day before.

As I walked towards Madiba, the girls caught my attention. As if on cue, each looked at me, flinched, and then turned their faces away.

Their traditional attire had colourful beads all over. White dots sprinkled across their faces. And they had pieces of clothing covering their bust. The adornment was pleasing to see, and I took my time doing so. But I was careful enough not to let Madiba see me ogling at those girls.

Before taking my seat, I greeted.

"Molweni to you all." I'd since learnt how to greet a group of people.

His wife answered warmly, as usual, and then stood up to dish out some food. A meal of roasted chicken, olive oil and pap were in the offing. The smell of fresh Umqombothi, the local beer, filled the air.

Though I'd eaten snacks earlier, I couldn't resist the tantalizing aroma oozing from the chicken. It was hot and spicy, and my nose twitched as I salivated. The heat from it forced me to wait a while before dabbing into it. This wasn't the type of meal for fork and knife, Madiba had a drumstick in his hand already.

Apart from the chicken, I caught a whiff of a different kind of meat that looked unfamiliar. I then recalled that the man once mentioned that he was a hunter. Perhaps he brought home some grass-cutters or rabbits from the bush. My tongue vibrated at the prospect of eating something new. I repositioned on the bench, warming up for the feast.

"I'm here today, Madiba."

"Ha-ha, this is good. We are one family here since we live the same compound."

I nodded as he spoke. The aroma of chicken breezed through my nose, and my tummy roared in anticipation. When last did I set eyes on KFC or Chicken Licken? Here was Madiba village chicken oozing aroma that was hard to ignore.

"You can take your food."

As if I needed to be urged. I pulled the plate closer and colonised it. As soon as I started eating, Chief Madiba did not even ask if I would drink before pouring beer from the calabash into two wooden cups and pushed them towards me.