She delved into issues bordering on her high school and university days, family background and even past relationships. Listening to her past exploits inspired me. The manner she trivialised some of her sad stories got me wondering what an optimist she was. "How long have you been here?"

"About three years now."

The sassy lady had been transferred to Landmark from a school in Cape Town. Something about her touched a chord in me. I knew we had things to discuss later. Apart from being my colleague, she would make a good friend. I enjoyed the walk-throughs and her insights. But I had to make good use of the off-day the principal graciously allowed me.

"Can we return to the staffroom, please? I have a lot to do today."

"Oh, okay."

Vivian had an eye for fashion. She wore a fitted skirt-suit and red shoes which looked good on her and portrayed her as a trendy lady. Her spoken English was impeccable, even if with a local twang. I liked her polite and tempered manners too. It surprised me that such a lady felt comfortable living in the remote suburbs of the Eastern Cape when she could cope well with the rigours of the metropolis.

Back in the staffroom, she asked: "Are you married?"

"No...not yet. I'm in a relationship, though. The love of my life stays in Johannesburg."

The glow on her face dimmed immediately. But, I didn't mean to dampen her spirit since I would count on her experience to get along well in the school.

"We can do things together, academic and otherwise, you know. I hope I can count on you."

"Sure, why not?" she replied, blushing. I retreated to my desk.

Even if Vivian would be my closest colleague, I wanted to be familiar with the others too. They received me warmly when the principal introduced me earlier. Knowing something about each of them didn't feel like a bad idea.

Before I could stand up to meet each person, Mrs Avo walked into the staff room like she had an important issue to address. With her conduct around the school, one would take her for the school principal, whereas she only taught Life Orientation.

"Do you have the keys to this staffroom yet?"

"You mean me?" I didn't like her officious tone; so I thought she wanted to throw her weight around. In her thinking, being a new teacher, I must kowtow to her.

Her question hanging in the air, I raised my head to look at the imposing woman who reminded me of a wrestler called Kamala. Everything about her looked chubby: cheeks, neck, arms, fingers, legs and feet. Only her teeth weren't. Those looked smallish, whitish and well-arranged. One could see that the gym was thousands of kilometres away from her residence, or she enjoyed eating unhealthy foods.

I would later learn that Mrs Avo spoke with vim, and her voice raved loudest in the staffroom. An attention seeker who liked to cut others to size quickly, she flared up easily and found it hard to forgive when offended.

Those negative comments about the middle-aged woman shouldn't hinder me from getting close to her, I thought. I'd met lots of plump people with amazing character. I didn't have to be close to everybody, anyway. I only needed to be friendly.

"Yes, I do. Thanks." Vivian had earlier handed the keys over during our walk.

"Oh, so fast. Since you have it, keep it well and use it wisely."

"Yes, ma'am." I folded my lips inward and rubbed my hairless chin.

Her eyes went over me in a flash, trying to size me up. The manner she posed – arms on her hips, disdainful looks, and body gestures – made the tales of woes peddled about her believable. I tried to dispel the rumours from my mind, but her brashness just won't allow me.

"What's the size of your shoes?"

Wooah! I didn't see that one coming. What kind of a lady would ask a new colleague about his shoe size in the first meeting? Would she provide new pairs? The principal would have briefed me, if that was the case.

Her question made me check my shoes again. Perhaps she thought they weren't good enough for the rough and dusty roads around the school premises. "These shoes are strong enough." Besides, I had three other pairs in the hut.

She must have been hinting at something else. Maybe she wanted to tap some information from me. Not sure what she meant, I thought it was too early to start arguing with staff members. I would rather make friends than draw negative attention.

With lips extended in a half-smile, but in a matter-of-fact tone, I replied: "I haven't bothered to check recently." I then stood up, packed the books off the desk, and made for the exit door. "Would you please excuse me. I have to prepare for my classes."

She narrowed her eyes as if I'd been defiant. Being too far gone, she had no chance to call me back. However, I heard her voice behind:

"Teach Maths like Vivian, but don't behave like her." I thought the two ladies had a score to settle, but I wasn't in Landmark to mediate.

Vivian later briefed me that the woman had the unique abilities of witch-hunting and back-stabbing her colleagues while laughing with them all the way. Most students disliked her because of the manner she caned them while trying to maintain discipline around the school. But the vice-principal liked her because of her passion for teaching and maintaining order. The two women were said to be close pals.

"She's two-faced, that one," Vivian said with a scowl. "She's a viper."

Since I would be working closely with Vivian, I believed her; if only to make her open up to me more. Back at the office in Johannesburg, some female colleagues briefed me on events around the office every day. The only price I had to pay was to like what they liked and show distaste for the things they loathed. I chose to tag along with Vivian in like manner.

I didn't have much to worry about, though. Before Mrs Avo would show the other side of her face, I would have left the school.