Chapter 12 ~ A Seducing Plot

Leah entered her room and slammed the door behind her. Hilda's voice called after her from the hallway, but she flipped the door's lock, ignored the knocking that came a few seconds later.

Who did Mr. Adams think he was?

"My butler, obviously!" She started pacing the length of her room as her agitation increased. As flashes of her behavior teased her mind, her cheeks heated. Her pacing slowed until she stood still in the room's center, and she covered her face with her hands. What had she done? How did she not know he was her butler? I'm an idiot.

She sank to floor. Why did he—of all people—have to be the new butler? And why was he so young and attractive? Did she want to get rid of him? He did look a heap better than Tonya. And why was her heart still fluttering? Stupid heart!

But... no. Total freedom was still her greatest desire. Her lips pursed in determination. Wren Adams had to go. She scowled. How she'd force him to leave was an entirely different matter. Daddy is stubborn... She knew if he had hand-picked Mr. Adams himself, he wouldn't fire him easily.

The one rule was her. She scrambled to her feet and positioned herself in front of the dresser's mirror. No wonder he'd said he wouldn't fall for her. Her pale features were red and blotchy from heat and anger. A few leaves were stuck in her golden braid that didn't even look like a braid anymore, and loose strands hung in her face. Her pink floral shirt was shredded at the hem, and grass stains ruined her Chico's jeans.

I look like a clown. It was really was no wonder Mr. Adams found her unattractive. Maybe it was time to show him how pretty she could be? The thought startled her at first, but as she pondered the idea, her hesitance vanished.

It was a good plan, much better than her others. But could she go through with it?

She squared her shoulders and glowered at the girl in the mirror. She had to do this. If she was the only way to get rid of Mr. Adams, then she was the route she would go.

An hour later, she again stood in front of her mirror, but this time, looking like an entirely different person. Her golden hair fell down her back in long waves, and the dress she'd chosen—tight at the bodice and the same blue as her eyes—accentuated her curves. She'd applied light make up too, enough to give her that innocent appearance.

Her hand trembled, and she swallowed hard. You can do this, Leah. You can!

She unlocked her bedroom door, and then went to the wall and pushed a button there and spoke over the intercom. "Mr. Adams to my room, please." She waited with as much patience as she could muster until his knock came. She smoothed her dress.

"Come in," she called, softly. He entered, his vibe wary. When his gaze landed on her, his eyes widened; satisfaction enveloped Leah. Her plan would work. Just one kiss...

"Thank you for coming, Mr. Adams."

His brows were furrowed, but he nodded for her to continue. Leah took one long calming breath, and then stepped forward. "I'm sorry... for trying to frame you and for twisting your ear. Also, for being so angry. I know you were just doing your job."

He looked beyond skeptical. She approached another step. "The truth is..." Hoping she looked shy but persuasive, she ducked her head. "You were right. I am attracted to you, and it felt like you tricked me."

Because he did trick me! she fumed, inwardly. Annoyance struck when the butler remained silent. What was his issue anyway? She swallowed her frustration and offered him a trembling smile. She crossed the remaining distance, stopped in front of his tense form, and placed her hand on his chest. A very firm chest. Rock hard, actually.

Focus!

"Can you forgive me?" she whispered.

He stared at her, and for a miserable second, she thought all was lost. He didn't find her attractive enough to bite. Then, to her delight, he grasped her shoulders and lowered his head. Her breath caught in her throat as she squeezed her eyes and waited for his kiss. Anxiety and excitement warred in breast.

What would it be like to kiss him? Would he pull her close? Deepen the kiss? Should she slap him when he finished? Before he finished? And why was it taking so long?

His breath fanned her ear, warm and tantalizing. Leah shivered even as alarm blared in her mind. What, was he going to kiss her neck? That wasn't part of her plan eith—

"I'm honored you feel this way about me, but if you were hoping I'd return your feelings, I must decline. I don't fall for children," he whispered.

Her eyes fluttered open as Mr. Adam withdrew from her. She met his gaze, dismayed when she glimpsed the laughter there. Then, he grinned. "But apology accepted."

"What?" She blinked."That wasn't... That's not what I meant. You - you were supposed to kiss me!"

He folded his arms. "Oh? Aren't you a little young to be fantasizing about me? I'm like, what? Six years older than you?"

Horrified, she staggered away. "No! That wasn't what I meant! I - you!"

"It's okay, Princess. I won't tell anyone." He winked. "Well, I guess if we are done here, I'll mosey along. Just, you know, call for me if you need anything. I am, after all, your butler now."

She opened and closed her mouth, watched in astonishment and horror a Mr. Adams left the room. She sank to the floor in an immobilized heap.

"This can't be happening," she whispered, placing a shaking hand over her erratic heart. A heart that shouldn't be reacting this way either! She shook her head as confusion filled her.

That man was dangerous.

Three weeks.

Wren Adams had to begone by then.

I don't know if I am just totally biased, but I laughed so much with this chapter. I've never had fun with editing before. But I actually enjoyed this! LOL! Poor Leah. I think she took it a little hard, but at the same, I'm wondering if this new butler might be just what she needs to make her transition from a spoiled brat to an adult. What do you guys think? I would love to hear from you in comments or voting, and please know I really appreciate the time you take to show support!

A huge thank you to everyone reading though. It's an honor that out of all the books available, you chose to give mine a chance. It's truly humbling.

Ariel