Chapter 21 ~ A Stormy Picnic

He had no words. Speechless.  This wasn't something Charles was used to. He charmed, spoke with eloquence, and never let a situation defeat him. He had learned confidence won most battles without a single shot fired, for it was confidence that most lacked. Yet, here he stood, staring with alarm and shock at the tall man who had strode into the room with even greater confidence than his own.  He sensed the power the young man carried, and his own strength weakened when Fiona spoke the butler's name.

"Good morning, Wren. Charles, this is Leah's new butler."

Butler? His gaze dropped to the blond beauty beside him, but Leah wasn't looking at him. She stared wide-eyed at the butler. He watched his hopeful, future bride lick her lower lip and reach up to twist a strand of hair, all the while never moving her gaze from the man.  Unease stirred in his chest when the butler--Wren--shot a soft smile at Leah. Words were exchanged, but they blurred together in his raging mind. Who was this man to smile at his woman? To speak to her in such a kind manner?

When a hand appeared in his vision, he was forced to reenter the present.

"I'm Wren Adams."

Charles hesitated. His desire to shake hands bottomed at zero, but he schooled his features, clasped the awaiting hand in his own. "Charles Cartright.  Tony decided to hire a man to care for his daughter? I admit. I'm surprised."

An easy smile was the reply, but he noted the quick change in the butler's gaze as if Wren sensed the hidden antipathy in Charles's tone. Just the same, the butler laughed a rich, hearty sound that caused the women to smile.

"I was as surprised as you!"

"I doubt that." Tension flared in the room at his flat response.

The corner's of Wren's lips fell into a smaller version of a grin. "Perhaps you're right," was the simple reply.

"Charles came to take Leah on a picnic," Fiona said.

"Oh?" Wren flicked a glance at Leah, holding her gaze for what to seemed to Charles, too long.  "Princess will enjoy that."

Charles stiffened. Princess? He sifted the word through his mind, his anger at this situation mounting. Yet, when Leah smiled in pleasure, he knew to keep his disgust inward.  Somehow, this man had broken through her reserves; how he had done that, Charles wasn't sure.

"Will you be coming along?"

Leah's question caused Charles to snap to full attention.  He locked gazes with the butler, making certain to put every warning in the staredown.  Being an intimidating man himself, he waited for the submission to come. Wren studied his ward before speaking.

"Definitely. My job is to protect you." Wren looked back at Charles. "I'm assuming that means foreign and domestic."

Fiona snickered then masked her expression. "Oh, my."

Charles clenched a fist. "I assure you, Leah needs no protection from me."

Wren smirked. "I was talking about snakes. Sometimes, they're camouflaged. And not only are they difficult to see, but you have to get close to decide if they're poisonous or not. I can't take the risk of  my ward being bitten, can I?"

Charles glowered. "Certainly not. I suppose between the two of us, we will be sure to find one."  He waited for the clever response; this butler seemed beyond average. Instead, Wren shrugged and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Eh. I doubt it. When do we leave?"

****************************

When Leah questioned whether Wren would be joining the picnic, Wren's first inclination had been to decline. Charles's glare had been enough to melt the glaciers of Antarctica, and he relished the idea of having several hours to himself. Then, he had looked at Leah. Her eyes had begged, pleaded even. It had alarmed him. Now, he followed behind the two friends, not liking the irritation that was pricking him, poking him, driving him bonkers. Maybe it was because Charles kept brushing his arm against Leah's, or the way Leah threw her head back and filled the meadow with her tinkling laughter.