Chapter 4 ~ Bittersweet Goodbyes

"I wish you didn't have to go."

Wren's hands stilled their action of folding a white undershirt. He glanced over at the older woman sitting on the edge of his bed. Ideene Slator's grief over his leaving was evidenced by the sadness in her brown eyes. After tucking the shirt inside the suitcase, he reached out and grasped her hand. Mentally, he memorized her features: gray hair cropped around the ears, crinkled skin, a simple cotton dress, and withered hands, one of which he held.

"I sincerely wish I could stay, Mrs. Ideene. I've been happy living with you and Pastor."

She sighed and patted his hand with her free one. "You promise to visit from time to time?"

"Absolutely. Sunday is my day off, so you'll see me at least every weekend."

Ideene searched his face, then said softly, "You're like the son I never had, you know."

"And you have been like the mother I lost. I'll never forget her, and I promise I won't forget you. Who knows, after my year is up, I might be parking my rear right back in this room."

At this, Ideene grinned so big, her eyes nearly crinkled shut. "I'd love that. You are always welcome here."

"Is my wife causing a fuss?" Henry Slator appeared in Wren's open doorway. He took one look at his wife's red rimmed eyes and came in and settled beside her on the bed. His arm went around her shoulders in a side hug. "He's not leaving us forever. This is a wonderful opportunity for him."

A single tear slid down Ideene's cheek. "I know. I know it is. I'll... be fine."

Wren pulled his hand from her grasp. As much as he wanted to cheer her, he knew time would be the only remedy for this transition.

Ideene continued. "It's just we've never been able to have children, and when Wren appeared all those years ago, it felt as if God had finally given me a son."

"Think about it though," Henry said, "If he can get out of debt, he might not be so stubborn about getting married. And if he gets married..."

The older woman perked up. "Grandchildren!"

Wren laughed at the couple. "I think we're putting the cart before the horse!"

Ideene was all smiles though. "You have said you don't feel like you can marry because of all your debt. If it's gone, would you consider it?"

Sobering, Wren didn't say he'd already thought of it more than he wanted. In truth, he was lonely and the hope of one day having a companion to walk through life with excited him. "I would, but no woman deserves to be tied down with my past. Being debt free, or very close to it, is a must for me."

There was a pause. Ideene pushed herself off the bed. "In that case, I should make cookies to celebrate."

Laughter erupted in the small bedroom that had been Wren's for the past four years. Henry stood, followed his wife, but stopped at the door. "We'll be praying for you, son. Let the Lord be your guide and strength; you'll overcome."

Wren sobered. "Thank you. I'll do my best to remember that. And thank you too... for housing me all these years. I don't know what I would have done without you and Mrs. Ideene."

"Trust me. The feeling is mutual." Then, with that, the older man walked from the room and left Wren to struggle with an odd lump in his throat.

****

Super short chapter, I know :) But it is what it is, and I would much perfer short chapters and say what I want to say rather than add words for the sake of it. No time wasted at least.

Thank you for reading.  Another chapter coming soon! The adventure is about to begin :D

Ariel