Chapter 24 ~ Fountain Play

Several weeks passed in a blur for Leah. Charles text on occasion, but otherwise respected her request for distance while she sorted her feelings. Which, on all accounts, became more confusing, for while Charles was distant, Wren remained close. Each day drew her to the butler more than the last and each second she invested more of herself into their friendship.

   The week before graduation came, along with finals. Wren and Fiona helped her study every spare second, and though the grades had yet to be released, she was confident of her test scores. Now, she sat in the large lounge, struggling to study for the last exam but her brain rebelling against being used further.

   She groaned, fell in a pathetic heap on the couch cushions and released a series of intangible noises. "My brain is mush. I'm doomed."  Wren's chuckle caused her to lift her head, though her lip jutted in self pity. She eyed his relaxed position on the recliner, study sheets grasped in his hand. "It's not funny," she snapped. If she didn't know better, he enjoyed her misery!

   "It kind of is." He grinned, and her heart skipped. "You sound like a zombie."

   "Ugh!" She buried her face into a pillow. "I'm a zombie! I'm a freaking zombie!" 

   Wren laughed. "All I heard was 'blah, blah, blah, blah'."

   "Shut it, Butler Boy!"

   Wren laughed again, and Leah warmed at the sound. She doubted she would ever tire to hear it.

   Suddenly, her butler pushed himself to his feet and slapped the papers on the recliner's arm.  "Time for a break."

   "I can't. I need to study."

"You've studied more than enough. You'll do fine. I promise."

   Leah shook her head so fast her braid whipped her in the face. "My test is tomorrow morning! "

   Wren walked to her, grasped her hand, and tugged her to her feet. Leah's eyes widened at the  proximity of his body, but if he was affected, he hid it well, she decided.

   "What you need is to relax and sleep. Throw good hydration and nutritious food in there, and we have the perfect setup for an excellent exam." He pulled her to the Lounge doors. She savored the warmth of his skin, smirking in pleasure.

   "Studying is important too," she quipped.

   "Which you have done for the past four hours."

   Leah would have paused if Wren wasn't dragging her through  the hallway towards the mansion doors. "Has it really been that long?'

   "Yes, and I'm sick of repeating the same questions to you." He led her outside where night had fallen, down the porch steps, and stopped at the base of the water fountain. She was breathless from his quickened pace but also  rejuvenated. A blast of wind tugged at her hair, and she noted the warmth it carried, a reminder spring would soon be over.

   The two stood silent several moments. As usual, her gaze fell on her butler. She loved it when he switched from his suit to casual clothing as he wore now. His gray T-shirt revealed a broad chest and shoulders, and her eyes skimmed the length of his corded arms. Another gust of wind lifted his thick brown hair. She softened as she found his eyes, swirling pools of green, searching the sky above.

   "We should go down the valley sometime. I bet we could see the stars from there. Too many lights here." He brought his attention back to her, and his expression changed upon realizing she watched him.

   Leah blushed and turned away. "Yeah, that's a great idea."  He was studying her; she could feel it. Then suddenly, water droplets sprayed her in the face. "What the -?" Gasping, she swiped at her cheeks, then whirled to find her butler bent over the fountain, hand dipped and ready in the crystal water. Mischief claimed his grin.

   Leah wanted to laugh. She struggled to smother her own grin, instead glaring. "No! Don't you dare. Wren, I mean it! I -" Her words were cut off as another spray of water soaked her.  She huffed, eyes narrowing at the laughing man. "Okay. It's on."

  "Bring it, Princess!" 

****

    Squeals and laughter sounded outside the nearest window. Curious, Fiona went to the window and looked out. Her worry eased as she watched butler and heiress dance around the circular fountain, and she pushed the glass window open to better listen.  As water sprayed in every direction, the maid cherished Leah's bright smile.

    I have never seen so much joy in her. She realized her fears had come; Leah was attached to Wren Adams. Yet, as happiness filled the air, she reconsidered her previous aversion. Maybe, Wren Adams was exactly what her ward needed.

******************************************************

This chapter made me smile. :) I hope it did the same for you! Thank you for reading. 

Hugs, 

Ariel