Chapter 9 ~ The Runaway

Closing her bedroom door, Leah leaned against its smooth wood. She expelled one long breath in an attempt to calm the erratic rhythm of her heart.

"What's wrong with me?" she whispered as she placed a slender hand on her chest. Her hand still burned where he'd kissed it, and his dancing green eyes were branded in her memory. Never had her body reacted so wildly to another person before. This left her confused and irritated. 

Yet... also longing for more. A huge part of her regretted she'd be disappearing for a majority of the morning to come. An idea of changing her plans and instead enjoying breakfast with her father's handsome acquaintance tickled her mind, but she shoved it away.

First, I get rid of the butler. Then, I can talk Father into inviting Wren back again.  Even thinking his name caused her to melt further into the wood of her door. "Wren," she whispered, then giggled. In that moment, she determined that the next time she saw him, she wouldn't let the opportunity go to waste.

#

"I still don't get why you're here. At five in the mornin'." Bates Westerman eyed the man who'd so rudely entered his private space not ten minutes ago. Bates had been informed of Tony's new recruit, but he hadn't planned or wanted to meet him so early in the morning.

"I'm not able to give my reason. Sorry, but I gave my word," the so-called butler said, but for the first time since entering, he tore his gaze from the screen that monitored Leah's space and smiled small. "No offense."

Bates stroked his smooth chin, grunted. "You're not going to make a habit of interrupting my peace and quiet, are ya? I enjoy my solitude." He didn't know how to make it any clearer that he didn't like tagalongs on the job.

"I hope not!" Adams chuckled, then said under his breath, "I just don't know what time she's putting her plan into action."

Bates arched a curious brow. But... Why press the issue? It wasn't his business, and he wasn't a gossip. 

Silence reigned, and Bates had almost reached a blessed headspace of forgetting another was in his guard shack. Then, Wren sighed, and Bates decided Adams was an annoying whippersnapper.

"She must have a plan, but what?" Adams muttered. Bates rolled his eyes, refrained from telling him to 'shut it'. Adams faced him. "If someone was planning a quick exit from the mansion, when would be the best time?" he asked.

"Prolly noon. When Edward and I switch shifts."

Adams frowned. "Too late in the day. What about in the morning?"

"Not really," Bates said. He thought hard. "Well, Hildie usually brings breakfast at six-thirty, sharp. I suppose if Miss Kingsley was wantin' to bolt, it might be then."

Adams brightened, grinned. Without another word, he turned back to watch the screens. Bates inhaled a patient breath and glanced at his watch. 5:45 a.m.

Longest waiting game ever.

**************************************************************

Leah slipped from her room at 6:15 a.m. Excitement coursed through her as she headed down the hall toward the staircase, but when Hilda emerged from a side door, she smothered a groan. So much for sneaking out unseen.

"Land sakes, child! What are you doing up so early?" Hilda peeked at her from over the bundle of dirty laundry she carried. "You're even dressed."

"I couldn't sleep."

The housekeeper made a 'tsk' sound. "The one day you don't have to go to school, and you can't sleep." Hilda's eyes widened. "Fiona did tell you your Father wanted you home today to meet your butler, didn't she?"