Chapter 11~ Her Knight

"I'm sorry for all the trouble."

Wren would have looked down at the girl in his arms, but somehow, she'd managed to weasel her way from his chest to his neck. Her breath fanned his skin, and not for the first time, he wondered if she had a headache at all. He didn't know Leah Kingsley, and something about her little injury  felt off.

"I'm the one who should be apologizing. You wouldn't have fallen if I hadn't startled you."

She shook her head and said in a shy-sort-of tone "Not at all. If anything, you're..."

"I'm what?"

"My knight in shining armor."

Wren couldn't stop his laughter. "A Knight in shining armor, huh? So what does that make you? A princess?"

"Sounds good to me." She giggled.

Giggling was not something someone with a pounding headache would do, Wren thought. Still, he enjoyed the sound. "Princess. It suits you."

"And I shall call you, Sir Knight."

"I'm not so sure about that." He continued his steady stride, ignoring the screaming muscles in his arms, shoulders, and thighs. As silence fell between them, he noted how she relaxed against him. It was strange, really. "So, Princess, I have a question."

"Hmm?"

"About this butler... Why are you against him?"

She stiffened. "I guess I'm not really against him, but I'm weary of being watched so closely. It's frustrating. Daddy is so protective because I was kidnapped when I was little."

"Kidnapped?"

"Yes." She sighed. "It changed everything for me. Daddy became obsessive about keeping me safe. I'm hardly ever alone now, and it's just frustrating. I'm almost eighteen!"

Compassion stirred inside of him. "Yeah, I could see where that would be hard. I don't think it's your butler's fault though."

"I suppose not."

Leah went silent again. Growing weary, Wren took that time to focus on ensuring every step. Soon, their destination loomed before them.

"There's the mansion," he said.

Leah lifted her head, studied her home. "I guess so." Disappointment laced her tone.

Wren walked over the manicured lawn, passed the hill beneath the window Leah had escaped from.

"I need to tell you something," she said.

"Go for it."

"I faked my headache."

"Oh?"

"Yes, but I want you to keep it a secret. Please?"

"Let me guess. This has something to do with your new butler."

"That's right."

"I can't do that this time."

He felt her startle. "Why not?"

He reached the first cement step that would lead them to the pillared porch and finally paused. He met her gaze. "Because I have something to tell you too."

"O-okay."

"You know that butler you can't wait to get rid of?"

Confusion scrunched her face.

"You might have already met him."

"No, I haven't. Trust me, I would know. They have a certain look and smell and—."