Chapter 60 ~ Birthday Gifts

"You asked to see me, Daddy?" Leah said as she poked her blonde head inside his office door. Her father looked up from his large desk filling a significant portion of the room with a wrinkled brow, but when he saw his daughter, brightened.

" Come in, Sweetheart. I do need to speak with you."

"Okay." Leah made sure to shut the door quietly before moving to settle in one of the cushioned office chairs positioned at perfect angles in front of the cherry oak desk. Her hands smoothed the faint creases in her skirt caused by several hours of reading on her bed as she waited for her father to finish whatever project he was pouring over. Finally, he dropped his pen and focused his azure gaze on her. His kind smile relaxed her worries over this visit.

"How have you been handling the kidnapping?"

Naturally, Leah's smile fell as she sobered, her mind snapping to the incident three days prior. "I'm actually doing fine. It's a good feeling knowing The Boss and Leroy are in prison. I'm a bit worried about Wren though. He's seems a bit down."

Tony nodded in agreement. "He just needs a bit of time, I'm sure. Then, you will have your butler back. I'm not worried about him though. Just you. If you need to talk to me or have any fears..."

  Leah shook her head rapidly, her smile returning. "I'm not scared! Not with Butler Wren at my side and now that I'm - " Her words faltered causing her father to send her a questioning look. I need to tell him. she thought. God, help me tell him! She swallowed hard. "Now, that I'm a Christian. Daddy, I gave Jesus my life on my birthday."

Leah watched surprise flash across her father's face, followed by another emotion she couldn't decipher. He seemed to be struggling with the news and she waited for him to explode. Instead, he sighed and smiled small.

"You are an adult now. I trust you to make wise decisions."

She blinked, not sure she had heard correctly, but when his smile never diminished, she realized she had. Her own smile blossomed. "Thank you!"

"So you feel safe having Wren at your side?"

"Very safe. There is nothing he wouldn't face for me." Whether the young heiress had intended to reveal her true feelings at that moment or not, Tony knew his daughter well and gleaned much from her shining eyes and tender expression.

"I understand. I'm glad to hear it, but enough about Mr. Adams.  I had planned to give you your birthday gifts at the Ball in front of the guests for the grand finale but plans changed, obviously. I hope you don't mind my lack of grandeur in giving them to you here."

"Not at all! I'll take birthday presents anywhere, at any time!"

Tony chuckled, rising with manila envelopes and a small box in his hand and rounded the desk to lean against it in front of his daughter. "My first gift to you is a new bank account."

Leah raised a brow as she was handed a small Bank deposit slip, her other brow following the movement as she stared at it. "Daddy! This is too much!"

Tony shook his head, still smiling. "Not at all. You officially own a quarter of my wealth at this moment. Including one of my construction chains. I decided to give you charge of the one here in Springfield. I trust my group leader and he has agreed to help teach you the ropes. Some believe college to be the answer to good leadership. I believe hands-on experience to be best, though I wouldn't argue if you would like to do online business courses."

Shock was the only emotion Leah could feel. She had known that she would receive money upon turning eighteen, but nothing of this significance! Tony wasn't finished and proceeded to hand her the large envelope. Leah's hand shook as she took it and the world began to spin as she pulled the large stack of papers from inside. Reaching to rest a hand on her head, she breathed deep, forcing the room back to stillness before lifting her tear-filled eyes to her father.