Chapter 46 ~Tony's arrival

Wren's heart thudded. Whether from fear or anticipation, he didn't know. He glanced at the others standing around him, his gaze resting on Leah the longest. Excitement radiated from the girl and it was obvious she had dressed herself with extra care from her attire: a long black dress, studded diamond earrings, and black heels. Her blond hair was pulled back in a french twist giving her a sophisticated look, rather than her usual carefree style. Wren's gaze dropped to her waist and hips accentuated by the dress and his mouth went dry. She was beautiful and today proved it. But, why did he feel uneasy? He gaze flickered to Charles standing not far behind her, and his agitation increased. The wealthy gamer seemed to having his own trouble keeping his eyes from the girl.

A quiet growl escaped his throat as he focused his attention on the long driveway, looking for something to distract himself. If he didn't, he would be hauling her right back to her room and demanding she change into something less attractive.

"I guess this is your first time seeing her for who she is, huh?"

Wren turned just the slightest to look at Edward leaning on the other side of the post. "That isn't who she is. Its who she's expected to be."

Edward shrugged, casting his own glance at the young woman of topic. "True, that style doesn't fit her personality, but it does fit her world. All of this will be hers one day, as well as Tony's business."

Though his words were true, Wren fought them. "What if she doesn't want it?"

"I don't know she has much of a choice. She could go against her father, but I can't really see her doing that either. Her life is pretty much mapped out."

Wren clenched a fist, then forced it open, releasing the breath he didn't know he had been holding. Against his will, his eyes dragged to her again, only this time meeting her azure gaze. A portion of his anger dissipated as she smiled with her special smile only offered to him. It calmed him for though she didn't look like his princess, she was indeed, the same girl.

"Oh, wonderful!" Hilda picked herself up from a chair that had been drug out for her to rest on. Her face burst into wrinkles as she smiled broadly. "I see Mr. Kingsley's car!"

Wren jerked his head to the driveway. Sure enough, a black sedan was climbing the hill to the gates. Leah's light squeal reached him, but it was Edward's slap on the shoulder that demanded his attention.

"Come on. Help me open the gates," The guard grinned and Wren tried to hide his nervousness as he jogged behind him. All too soon, the car drove slowly past, dark windows flashing his reflection.

By the time they had sealed the massive gate shut again and made it back to the small group, Leah was already hugging her father in a tight embrace. The remaining irritation he hadn't been able to erase, vanished at her joy; he softened. This was his first time seeing father and daughter together. The love on both faces wasn't what he had expected, but it was warming to see.

Wren walked up the steps and moved back to the post to watch. When Tony put his daughter at arm's length to look at the small bandage on her neck, the butler flinched and dropped his head as beginning thoughts of failure stirred.

"It's fine, Daddy. Really! It's healing so well and won't even leave a scar," Leah shook herself from her father's arms. "But, by the time I'm done with you for not calling me, you might have one or two."

Tony chuckled, letting his arms drop to his side. He matched his daughter's stance of stubbornness. "And who is it that keeps demanding I give her freedom and space?"

 "He has a point, Leah." Charles chuckled but Leah's jaw slackened in shock.

"Is that why you never called me?"