Chapter 29 ~ "I'm not Jealous!"

*unedited from this point on.*

Wren nodded at the female nurse smiling at him before turning to speak to Leah who walked beside him. Whatever he had planned to say vanished, for a heavy scowl shrouding her face. Smaller bandages still covered several of her cuts, but the larger gauze pads had been removed. Color tinted her cheeks once again after having slept in her own bed for the night, and she looked more like the Leah he knew.

"What's wrong with you?" Wren stepped into the elevator, holding a hand to ensure the doors stayed open as she stepped in. Being early morning, he was grateful for the lack of people. It was nice to not be crammed together with complete strangers.

"Nothing's wrong." Leah ground out the words like she had tasted something nasty. Her arms crossed over her chest, and her scowl remained in place.

"Ugh...You know you don't lie well."

She flicked a hard glare at him and then stared at the lightened buttons by the doors. "I just think it really rude for women to flirt with strange men. I mean, for all she knew, I could have been your girlfriend, and she still smiled at you. Sickening!"

"The nurse?" Wren frowned in confusion, wracking his brain to understand.

"The one who just smiled at you!"

"What are you talking about? You mean the middle-aged gal we just walked by?"

"Yes! Brown hair. Brown eyes? Ring a bell?"

Wren burst into laughter. "She was like twice my age, Princess! Did you see the gray streaks in that brown hair?"

"She was flirting." Leah snapped.

Wren laughed harder; it caused his head to hurt. "She was not. Are you jealous right now?"

Leah's cheeks flamed. "Of course not. I simply think it rude for women to smile seductively at men when they are walking beside another woman."

"Yeah. I'm totally believing you."

Leah shot him another glare at his sarcastic tone. "She was flirting."

"Was not."

"I'm a woman. I should know."

"She was not flirting."

"Was too."

"Was not."

"Was too."

"Nurses are allowed to smile at their patients."

"You aren't her patient."

"Yes, I am."

"No, You're -. What now?" Leah raised a skeptical brow.

"She was the nurse who tended to me when I was brought in." A teasing smile played on his lips. "We were simply acknowledging each other. I would have said hello, but she looked in a hurry, so I smiled instead."

Leah's jaw dropped, and her arms began to untangle. "You could have just said that."

"And miss seeing you jealous? No way."

She huffed, her arms crossed again. " I wasn't jealous."

"Was too."

"Was not!"

"You definitely were."

"And you are definitely wrong."

"Yeah, I don't think so. If I didn't know better, I'd think you have a crush on your butler." Even as he said the words in jest, Wren couldn't ignore his increased heart rate as he waited for her response.