Chapter 36 ~ Conviction

"Leah, I could get fired for this." Edward groaned as he parked the sedan. "Your father doesn't want you learning about religion."

"It'll be fine. I'll take the blame if he finds out. Okay?" Leah peeked out the tinted window at the little church sitting across the street.  Its parking lot was filled with vehicles and people, all milling about. When she spied a group of teenagers standing on the porch, curiosity pricked her. They appeared close to her age, and when they burst into laughter, envy stirred inside.

"It would be nice to have a lot of friends, " She murmured.

The young guard turned to glance at the young heiress in sympathy, but he hid it with a grin. "You have me! I'm the best friend a person could ask for."

Leah giggled, turning to smile. "You are a great friend. An amazing one."

"Actually, I have learned from experience it's better to have a few real friends than a handful of fake ones."

"Think so?"

Edward shrugged. "I'm just saying what I've experienced. Maybe it wouldn't be the same for you." He rolled his eyes, turning back to look out the windshield. "I'm honestly the last person who should be giving you advice though."

"I'm sure you have great advice to give," Leah scotted forward, her tone changing from thoughtful to excited.  "Did you have Bates do as I asked?"

"Yep," His grin returned. "They should be lost on the back roads of the Ozarks. Fortunately, there was another Trinity Baptist Church an hour away in the opposite direction as this one."

"Perfect. Let Samantha see what happens when she messes with me."

She slid across her seat, pushing open the Sedan's door without waiting for Edward to assist. "I'll be back as soon as church is over. I'd like to visit Fiona, then. Okay?"

"Nope."

"What do you mean, nope?"

"I mean I'm coming with you."

"No! I - I want to fit in. If people see I have a personal driver..."

"Excuse me, Miss Kingsley... I'm a bodyguard, not  personal driver. There's a huge difference."

Leah rolled her eyes at his smug expression. "Good grief," She muttered, slamming her door. Edward climbed out.

"It'll be fun," He pressed.

There was no possible way to refuse the guard's cheeky grin. "Fine. Have it your way."

************************************************

Wren wasn't prepared to see Leah walk through the church doors, nor for the triple somersault his heart performed as their gazes met. With her blond hair piled on her head in a loose bun and a black dress flattering her feminine figure, coherent thoughts vanished from his mind. Behind her, Edward's towering frame followed, a jovial grin tipping his lips.

"Who is that?" Grace Fuller spoke at his side.

"It's, um..."

"They're waving at you. Are they friends of yours?"

A slow smile spread across Wren's face as guard and ward drew closer.  He tore himself from Leah's dancing eyes to look at Grace. "Yeah. The young lady is my - boss?" Boss didn't seem the right word.

Grace was taken aback. "You work for the girl? As in your new job?"

Wren nodded as he looked to Leah again. A mini-frown crinkled her forehead as she cast glances from Grace to himself and he chuckled under his breath. Jealousy had reared its ugly head already. "Yes. It's -- a lot to explain..."