Chapter 37 Garden Meeting

**

The hot sun was sinking, its rim touching the treetops. Leah knew not much daylight remained, so when Edward dropped her off at the Kingsley Mansion gate, she skirted around the property to the very place she disliked the most.

She lifted the latch to the white wooden gate and pushed it open. A delicate scent caressed her senses as she walked the brick path winding through the rose bushes planted strategically on each side. Most of the thorny branches held small buds, but a few were decorated with velvet rose petals.

On a normal day, the rose garden caused her pain, but today, nature and peace soothed her troubled soul.  Her thoughts whirled with the words she'd heard in church that morning; A huge part of her regretted leaving, even if meant causing Wren to work on his day off. She wanted to know more of Wren's God and of the sacrifice made for her.

She frowned as she thought of Edward's reaction, so different than her own. After they had left, the guard had been silent most of the day. Even when they visited Fiona, he seemed distant.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Wren's teasing voice did funny things to Leah's stomach. She whirled, delight filling her as she met his darkened, green eyes. "Wren! You're back!"  On instinct, she reached and clasped his large hand in two of her small ones, her excitement pouring into her actions.  Tingles blazed up her arm, causing the heiress to realize what she had done. Still, she grinned, gripping it tighter and watched as surprise, then tenderness flooded Wren's expression.

"Did you miss me?" He asked, teasing.

"I did and I do! I wish Samantha would go home so things can be normal again."

"That makes two of us." Wren gave her small fingers a gentle squeeze before tugging his hand free, leaving Leah with a feeling of emptiness. She would have been quite content to hold it the entire evening!

"Where is Charles? I thought he would be with you by now."

"He messaged and said his parents were having a business meeting; He couldn't miss it."

"He needs to miss it! He agreed to take care of you and all he has done is hide in his office!"

Leah looked up, surprised at the vehemence in his voice. "Are you worried about me?" Her brows narrowed. "I am capable of taking care of myself, you know. I don't always need a person standing over me and -"

"I'm worried you'll be lonely." Wren interrupted her small tirade.

"What?"

"Fiona's not here and now..., neither am I. I'm not worried about you being alone. I don't want you feeling alone."

Nothing could have prepared the heiress for the overwhelming rush of emotions surging through her. Her father never cared about her emotional state; it had always been her physical. He wanted her safe, but never regarded the toll his limits put on her. Now, she stared up at the young man gazing down at her, touched and in awe.

"Don't leave me after this year is up, Butler Wren." Her words were a mere whisper.

Now, Wren was startled. "Princess..."

Leah swallowed hard but raked together every ounce of courage she could grasp. "I want you to stay with me. Please? I'll be eighteen and I've considered learning business to help Daddy with his hotels. I don't plan on having a butler or a nanny, but I'll need a bodyguard. Would you consider the position? I get a significant amount of money when I turn eighteen. It would be plenty to pay a decent salary and I will earn more  and -"