Chapter 49 - Bombshell

"So, you actually won?" Admiration rose in Leah. "A sixteen-year-old teenager against a thirty-year-old man?"

Wren offered a half smile. "A sixteen-year-old trained boxer against a thirty-year-old street brawler. In appearances, he had the advantage. In reality, all he had was size and muscle."

"That makes sense. So, what about your mother?"

Pain filled Wren's eyes and he turned from her to stare at the vast expanse of landscape before them. Somehow, she knew he wasn't really seeing it, though.

"Well, actually it was the next morning, that one of the biggest bombshells came....." His quiet voice trailed off and she waited for the story to continue.

**************************************************

Stiff and sore, young Wren sank slowly into a chair, biting back a groan as he rested his elbows on the kitchen table. "Morning Mom." He tensed as he waited for his petite mother to turn from the stove with a sweet smile as she always did. His forehead throbbed from his blow at the fighting ring; Would she believe his lie he had cooked up about it? He frowned when she didn't turn. He studied her stiff back and noticed her hand reach up to swipe at her cheek. Rising from his chair in alarm, he quickly rounded the table practically filling his aunt's tiny kitchen, reaching out to rest one hand on her shoulder.

"Mom?" He gently forced her to turn to him, not able to ignore her red puffy eyes. Her normally sparkling brown orbs were troubled and sad, tearing at him. There was no one in this world that meant more to him than this woman did, and he hated it when she was upset. "Hey, hey! What's wrong?"

Her eyes filled with unshed tears again. "What's wrong with your head, young man?" Even though her voice trembled, it was still concern- filled as she eyed the huge knot.

"I just walked into my door post last night. Now, why are you crying?" Without really much thought, he took the spatula from her hand to stir the eggs sizzling on the stove top.

"I have something important to tell you, but let's eat breakfast first."

Unsettled, he nodded. "Fine, but go sit down. I will finish this."

Wren practically swallowed his food without chewing, leaping up to take their plates to the sink as soon as she finished her last bite. Settling back down in front of her with rapid speed, he leaned forward with intensity. "Now, spill it."

Taking one deep breath, Lauren Adams made sure to look her son in the eyes. She noted how green they were at that moment, memories of his father resurfacing as they often did when she looked at him. Who knew the charming man she had run off with would turn into such a pathetic excuse for a human being. At least he had left her this one treasure. Reaching out to grip her son's hand, she noted the busted knuckles but decided to say nothing. It wasn't like him to lie to her, but she knew how much he had been struggling since they had moved a month ago.

She began, keeping her voice soft. " I know how angry you have been since we moved, Wren. I'm so sorry for that, but I think now is the time to tell you why."

"Okay..."

"I haven't been feeling well for a very long time, but your aunt offered to pay for me to go see a doctor and get some tests done. I didn't have enough saved, but your Aunt Helen thought it important enough, so gave us some from her own savings. From those tests, it was discovered that I might have cancer. Again, I didn't have money for further tests, so..."

"You have cancer?" Wren tried to wrap his mind around this information. Cancer. One word, yet so terrifying.

"Yes," Lauren took one shuddering breath. "Aunt Helen said that we could come live with her for free here if I wanted to sell our house to be able to pay for further tests and treatments. That is why we moved. I finally received a call from the doctor today. It wasn't good at all."