Chapter 34 ~ Leah's Truth

Groggily sitting up, Leah stared in confusion at her wrinkled white pants. Her eyes darted to the yellow and green plaid throw, usually placed on her padded chair, crumpled at the end of her bed.

"How did I get here?" she muttered. Early morning sunlight reflected through her heavy drapes, and she climbed from bed and went to open them. She took no notice of the rising sun, nor the colorful display painting the sky as the sun made it's ascent. She racked her brain, trying to remember the night previous. After having spent the day with Fiona, Edward had arrived to take her home in the late evening. They had chatted, but her memories stopped there.

I must have fallen asleep, she thought. She pondered the situation a little longer then shrugged. Edward must have brought her in.

Dismissing the incident, she stripped her wrinkled clothing before entering her luxurious  bathroom and filling the two person tub with scalding water and bubble bath. She inhaled the scent of green apples, relaxing at the familiarity around her. After visiting the hospital daily and dealing with Samantha, she needed something normal and comforting.

As she sank into the frothy water, her mind drifted to Fiona. The doctor had said to expect her release in a weeks time, and she couldn't wait. Without Wren, loneliness was creeping up on her again. Her thoughts shifted to her butler, and a gloom cast over her. She snapped herself to the present.

"No! No thinking about him right now! Just enjoy this moment." She turned off the steaming water and sank into the inviting bubbles and rested her head on the back of the tub.

Tension drained from her body as she soaked, and her brain cleared from its sleepy fog. After a sufficient time, she washed her hair and body; it was almost as if she could feel the hospital grime rinsing from her into the water. She popped the drain, but froze her movements of standing when the most unwelcome sound echoed from her room.

"Knock knock! Are you in here, Leah Dear."

Leah cringed and sank back into the water. "No. Go away, Samantha."

"Oh, I will." Samantha walked outside her bathroom door, but made no attempt to enter. " I  wanted to tell you to have a good day is all. My  handsome butler and I are going to spend his day off together. I think he is warming to me a little."

Leah froze, a knot forming in her heart. If it had been any other time, she wouldn't have believed her nemesis. But now... She closed her eyes against her pain, resolving Samantha would never know how her words affected her.  "And I care why?"

"Hmm." Samantha giggled, rolling her eyes. Or at least Leah imagined her doing so. "You don't care? Well, that's wonderful. Then, you won't care when I take him with me to England in two weeks?"

Eyes widening, Leah fought to keep her voice calm. "What makes you think he'll go?"

"The better question is, why wouldn't he? He's spending his only day off with me. That should speak for something."

Breathing became difficult.  "I can't imagine why he'd spend his extra time with you, but I don't own him.  He can do what he wants."

Samantha's next words brought dread to the young heiress. Her false tone of kindness disappeared. "We both know that's not how you truly feel. I am going to take him from you, Leah. Be ready."

Leah listened to Samantha's steps as she exited her room then climbed from the now empty tub. Unable to stand, she sank to the carpeted floor, her courage to fight disappearing. She lifted a hand in the air, noting how it trembled.

Against her will, memories with Wren surfaced. She reflected on their first meeting in the Lounge and further to him standing over her while she lay sprawled on the forest floor. She giggled despite this situation. When he had carried her home that day, she'd felt safe. On and on her mind went, recounting the details of their story. Twisting his ear, seducing him. Well, trying, anyway.  Tackling him to the gym floor, studying for quizzes and tests, and playing in the water fountain. That night had been fun.

"I love him," she whispered, but for some reason it only discouraged her more. She had thought he was beginning to return her feelings, but then, at a single command from her father,  he had dropped her. Now, Samantha was luring him in.

She frowned, sensing error in her thoughts. Having gotten a solid night of sleep, thinking was easier and understanding began to come. She plucked through the smaller details, sorting them from the painful ones and claiming their reality. He may have become Samantha's butler, but when she had called, he had come. The rage in him had been shocking to witness, but its reason for being there ... was her!

A smile tipped her lips. "Fiona was right. He never stopped caring for me!There must be more to what's going on!" Springing to her feet, Leah's determination rushed back, pushing energy into her limbs. She wouldn't let her butler go without a fight. Yes, he was her butler! Not Samantha's.

She dashed into her room butt naked only to skid to a halt in horror seconds later.

"Goodness gracious! Miss Kingsley!" Hilda dropped the dirty laundry in her hands and whirled away. "I do apologize! Miss Queen said it was fine to enter. She said you went to the hospital with Edward!"

A blush turned Leah crimson. She side stepped to her dresser and pulled on clothing in a hurried fashion. "It wasn't your fault. Don't worry about it." She forced an awkward laugh. "It's okay to turn around now."

Hilda did turn, but in slow deliberate movements. Then, seeing it was indeed okay, cleared her throat.  "I suppose it's a good thing they don't have cameras in your room too."

Leah paused to look at the older woman, noting her twitching lips. Both erupted into laughter.

"Yes, I suppose so!"

"Where are you headed in such a hurry? Mr. Charles isn't even out of his room yet. He didn't come in until late last night so I  doubt you will see him anytime soon."

Leah smiled at Hilda through the mirror as she ran her brush through her half-dry hair. "I plan to  to bully Edward into telling me where Wren is this morning. Can I borrow your broom if I need to beat it out of him?"

"Oh I see -What? Miss Kingsley!" Hilda bristled and Leah giggled.

"I'm just teasing, Hilda." She piled her wet hair on her head, shaping it into a random bun. "Do you know where Wren is today?"

"Humph! Aren't you spunky this morning! And yes, I do know where he is. I ran into him coming out of your room last night."

Leah's hand froze mid air. She turned and stared at the house keeper. "Wait. My room?"

"Yes. You didn't know?"

Leah shook her head, too breathless to speak.

"You were so tuckered out from the hospital, and Edward couldn't wake you. Wren carried you to your room." A smile played on her lips. "I heard you two had a falling out, but I'm guessing it was just a rumor with how gentle he was treating you. I thought you were awake since he was whispering in your ear." 

A huge smile spread accross Leah's face. She rushed  to give the old woman a peck on the cheek. "Where did he say he was going?"

"Why to some church in Springfield. Trinity Baptist, I think he said. He also mentioned Samantha  invited herself along."

"Wait... Samantha invited herself?"

"Yes, ma'am! That girl has been a pure pain to Wren. She's always chasing him down and trying to make advances and such. I saw it myself! But, you know, I think our butler is admirable. He told her flat out he wasn't interested and to stop. His voice was all stern and tough sounding. Made this old woman very happy! You don't see men like him very often."

A laugh bubbled within Leah as a huge load lifted from her shoulders. Samantha had been lying. "I should have known," she muttered then kissed Hilda again. "I'm off to church today, Hilda! Wish me luck!"

***********************************

Whew, thank goodness, Leah figured out the truth. Thank you for reading! 

Ariel