he was an fbi agent

matthew fidgeted nervously in his seat, re-adjusting his position every 15 seconds

"you didn't have to come if you didn't want to." i sighed, looking over at him.

he furrowed his eyebrows, shaking his head.

"of course i did. your family hates me still, i can't turn down their invitation to spend thanksgiving with them and make them hate me even more." he pouts, making me roll my eyes.

"they do not hate you."

"your siblings don't call me anything other than shit head." he deadpans, making me snort.

"okay...so my siblings aren't the fondest of you anymore. but my parents-"

"have an underlying dislike for me. i mean why wouldn't they? i broke your heart and i-"

"matthew gray gubler. we've already discussed this. i've forgiven you. and if i can forgive you, then so can they." i sigh, grabbing his face in my hands.

his face falls slightly before he nods his head.

"i just...i went from being apart of the family group chat and having weekly phone calls with your mom to having awkward hello's over your facetimes and that's being gracious."

i pause, my mouth still slightly open and i cock my head to the side.

"my dad still likes you."

"he's always liked me." he grumbles, sinking into his seat.

i coo, intertwining our fingers and looping my arms around his, leaning my head onto his shoulder.

"everything's gonna be fine, matthew. we'll have dinner and then we can fly out to see your mom and everything is going to be fine." i sigh, rubbing his bicep softly.

he nods his head, silence filling us slowly.

"can you believe it's almost been a year?" he chuckles, leaning his head on top of mine.

"i know...oh if young asteria could see us now." i sigh dramatically, making matthew chuckle.

"young asteria?"

"oh yeah. from the moment you broke my nose i knew you were going to shake up my world. i thought to myself, asteria, you're really going to let a singing squirrel ruin your life? yes, yes i am."

matthew chuckles, gripping my hand tightly.

"i already told you that i prefer the term musical marsupial."

"sucks to suck, pal."

"did you just friend zone me?"

"doesn't feel too good now does it?"

***************************

as matthew pulled our luggage out of the trunk of the cab, my sister ran out of the house, catapulting herself onto me.