you won't find another love like ours

hawaii was a beautiful place

hawaii was a beautiful place. it was an especially beautiful place to spend with your best friends on new years eve. the warm beaches were filled with people and fires illuminated the white sands and reflected off the clear blue water, making the oceans sparkle and glitter underneath the night sky. and as i sat on the beach, the warm island breeze blowing softly through my hair, i watched my friends dance happily amongst themselves. drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces. i watched shemar throw his head back in laughter as kirsten attempted to twerk, but really just looked like tina from bob's burgers. i watched kirsten twirl around, letting her skirt flow out around her. i watched matthew dance incredibly off beat, whipping his hair absolutely everywhere, no matter what kind of music was playing. and as i observed my three closest friends, my heart swelled with love. a gentle smile arose on my face and i tuned out my mothers shouting from the other end of my phone as my father screamed loudly in the background.

"are you even listening to me?"

"no, not at all mother." i chuckle, and i hear her sigh.

"just be careful with your heart, my love. you know we love matthew and we trust your judgement and it's your life, but we just want you to be careful."

"i don't! i just want grandkids! gimme 'em!" my father shouts, making me chuckle.

"i got it, momma. i have to go, they're all staring very intensely at me which means i've been gone for too long."

"alright baby. have fun. and don't forget to come home and hang out with your family once in a while."

"i will. i love you. and i love dad too."

"we love you, honey. have fun."

she ends the call and i place my phone into the fanny pack around my waist, happily zipping up the pouch and walking back over to my friends.

"sorry, you know how mom is." i shrug, leaning myself up against shemar.

he throws his arm around my shoulders and matthew frowns, reaching forward and pulling me from shemar's grasp and into his arms.

"this was a decade in the making, don't even try me." matthew glares at shemar, making me laugh loudly.

"oh and who's fault is that?" i snort as matthew pouts.

"spoiler alert, it's yours, matthew." kirsten smirks as she sips on her drink.

"yes i'm very aware- will i ever live that down?"

"of course you will...after like eight years." i shrug, making matthew glare at me.

"oh you're hilarious!" he sarcastically exclaims, placing his arm on my hip as he lightly stroked my hip bone with his thumb.

"she really is." shemar smiles, sipping on his drink.

"speaking of, what's a girl gotta do to get a drink around here?" i ask, throwing my hands up in frustration.