40

Virgil sat there staring at his bed as he frowned. Roman... Roman had stayed with him the whole night. They just laid there together in each other's arms as if the world was ending...

It was.

Virgil sighed as he rested his head in his hands. Roman said he was going to stay. Virgil should have been happy. He knew he should have been happy but he wasn't. He was hurt and upset. They all said Roman was wrapped around Virgil's finger. He was staying because of Virgil. He was giving EVERYTHING he struggled for... for Virgil. Roman said he was staying... was he just supposed to let that happen? Was he really expected to let Roman stay and give up his whole life? 

Roman asked him if Virgil wanted him to stay and he never gave the man an answer. He never gave one because he didn't know how he felt. Last night hearing Roman say that... it finally hit him. It hit him why he felt so bad... why he kept trying to bring it up as if Roman would for some reason change his mind. He finally had an answer. Princey asked him if he wanted him to stay. The answer to that is...

No. He didn't.

"HAPPY HALLOWEEN!" Virgil cringed as Roman's voice came through the speakers. There was no point in holding it off. The moment he realized... He called the man. It was only torture to continue it and... Virgil couldn't risk Roman actually staying. "Are you excited? I am! The party's today. Do you have a costume? You do have a costume right? Mine literally just came in the mail today. I was worried I'd have to go naked... Just kidding." Roman snickered a bit as Virgil just tried to keep his breathing stable. This was going to hurt. "That's something Remus would do... not me."

"Ro..."

"You'll never guess what my costume is, Virgil." Virgil frowned as Roman cut him off. He actually expected this. They've been together for a while. They knew each other so much... Virgil wouldn't be surprised at all if Roman knew what was coming. "Don't bother asking because I want it to be a surprise. I'm doing it myself... or well the finer details anyway. I have a lot of work to do seeing as it all just got here."

"Roman..."

"Am I picking you up or are you going with Logan and Patton? We never really went off the plan. I mean I would love to go with you but I also really want to surprise you..."

"ROMAN!" Virgil froze up as his voice rang through the feedback.

"Don't." Roman's voice was quiet and small as the phone shook in Virgil's hands. "Please?"

"I'm sorry."

"Then don't do it. Let's just... get back to discussing the party yeah? I was thinking maybe you should meet me there. I can make an entrance like the dramatic asshole I am and you can glare at me the whole time I do." Virgil didn't say anything as Roman went on. He could hear the shake in his voice and it was only a matter of time. "O-Or we could go together and show everyone we actually care for each other and that their stupid rumors aren't going to tear us apart. Virgil, please..."

"It's not about the rumors, Roman." Virgil sat himself up feeling his tears fall down his cheeks onto his pants. "You asked me a question a bit ago. You asked if I wanted you to stay and I realized... I don't."

"Virgil..."

"No, Roman. You need to listen to me." Virgil choked back his sobs as he stared at his cell. "I don't want you to stay here. You need to go back to LA. Your whole life is there."

"MY LIFE IS HERE..." Virgil could only imagine the look on Roman's face as he heard his voice tumble through the phone speakers. "...with you."

"That's just it, Roman. It's not. I can't be with you... not anymore. I won't do it. I won't do that to you." 

"Love, I know what's going through your head right now, don't listen to it. I'm staying because I want to." Virgil laughed as he fell back. "I can understand how you feel but it isn't true."

"Roman you left this place to make your dreams come true and now you're saying it doesn't matter. That everything you gave up... or endured... or suffered... It was for nothing."

"It wasn't for nothing, Virgil. I got to meet you. I got to be with a man who truly cares for me... that understands me. And when he doesn't, he tries his best to figure it out. Virgil, I don't want to lose this. I don't want to lose you. I'm finally happy. Aren't you?" Virgil couldn't stop the way his body crashed at that. It was like gravity increased 10 fold right onto his chest.

"Of course I am Roman. You've made me the happiest I've ever been." 

"Then why?" Virgil closed his eyes as his heart seemed to slow and tense. "Virgil, I'm happy with you. I'm happy here. I wasn't happy there. I was treated poorly. I was used and take advantage of. I still am but you... You make it all better. Being here with my friends and family... I don't care about all that fame. I never have. I don't want it. I want you."

"I want you too, Roman, but..."

"No buts, Virgil. I made my decision because the alternative was returning to that hell and I just couldn't make myself do it. Why go back to that? Why leave what I have here?" Virgil frowned as his voice went quiet on him, losing all courage he had.

"Your dream..."

"Virgil give me one night. Just one more night... tonight to be exact." Virgil bit his lip as he just stared off at nothing feeling his blood go cold. "The Halloween bash. You and I... That's all I ask. I have something I want to ask you and it cannot wait. If you can at least give me that... Then I'll give you what you want. After tonight if you still want me to go..." Virgil's breath left him as Roman's voice nearly left him completely. "I'll go."

"Ok, Roman. I'll give you tonight." Virgil's eyes darted to his closet where he hid his costume in a box. "I'll see you there."