Thirty-Eight

Cali Serenity

Cali Serenity

Its been a couple of days since my appointment and I've been feeling horrible. I would ignore Kross's phone calls; the girl's phone calls, and anything that had to do with social media.

I just wanted to be left alone.

My mom bought me some Ben and Jerry's ice cream after I heard her and my dad get into an argument.  It was over me and how I've been acting.

"She been moping round here like she lost her best fuckin friend.  She don't shop, she barely eat, like fuck going on with her?!" Daddy shouted.

"Eric, first of all take that fuckin bass out your voice. You aint bout to talk to me like I'm one of ya fuckin employees, I'm ya wife muthafucka" Momma barked back.

"I know who the fuck you are! Cali been acting funny lately and every time I go to ask her what's wrong she sayin nothing!"

"Well then aint nothing wrong with her E, like damn leave the girl alone!"

"Nigga whatever"

"Whatever nigga!" Momma squawked back. "The fuck"

"Fuck off then" Daddy screamed. "Make a nigga wanna stay high all damn day"

"I hope you choke!"

"Choke on this" he said.

It was silence before I heard. "OUCH! Gon' head with that hittin shit damn it!"

My bedroom door opened and mommy appeared with the pint of ice cream in her hand. 

"Hey pretty girl," she said, sitting down on my bed. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. Still bleeding a little but I'm hanging in there"

Mommy nodded before passing me the ice cream and rubbing her fingers through my hair.

"Did you tell daddy?" I questioned.

"No. its not my responsibility to tell your daddy you got an abortion Cali"

I cringed at the words of Abortion as it rang through my head. 

"More importantly...did you tell Kross," momma asked.

"Ma I don't know how"

My momma jerked her head as she sat back and looked at me with widened eyes.

"You didn't tell him?!" she raised her voice. "Cali are you-"

"Ma I know I know" I began to cry. " I know I should have said something but I didn't know-how.  I-I can't. He was so happy, buying things for the baby, he was glowing ma so how was I supposed to tell him?"

"You can forget about his glow.  The deed is done so now you better muster up some courage to tell him.  Aint no need for you to fake a pregnancy, especially when this aint his first rodeo"