Thirty

KJ

KJ

UCLA Medical Center

I sighed as I looked up at the hospital building before walking in. 

Too much is happening at once and a nigga doesn't know how to deal with it either.

"You sure you gonna be okay?" Yolanda asked me, rubbing my back.

"Yeah, I'm good" I answered back, looking at her.

"I' ma wait in the waiting room for you.  I think you need this time to go see ya boy"

I kissed Yolanda's forehead before we walked inside the hospital.  The automatic doors opened up as I was greeted with bright lights and the smell of pine sol and Lysol mixed fill my nostrils,  making me cough a little.

We made our way to the receptionist's desk as I told her Trey's last name. 

After keying in a few keys on her computer, she wrote my name on a yellow sticky visitors pass.

"He's on the 4th floor," she said with a slight smile. "Room 416"

"Thank You,"  I said before sprinting off towards the elevator. 

I watched the numbers light up as it made its final stop on the 4th floor.  The doors opened and I made my way towards Trey's room. 

A few doctor's head nodded towards me as a greeting as they made their way to their next patience room.

I stopped in front of the door where I saw a few homies from the basketball team, Trey's mother and some other faces I wasn't familiar with.

The door creaked as I turned the doorknob to grant me access to his room.

A few people greeted me as I walked in with a card and balloons for his mother and Trey.

The homies wrote all kinds of shit on the card. Get well cuz, only the strongest survive, we down to ride for you loc, we luhh you cuh and other heartwarming sayings, Hood style.

"Hi, Kayden!" Trey's mother, Larissa said to me as she walked up to me.

"Hi, Ms.Larissa" I greeted softly.

Her small frame pressed against mines as she gave me the tightest hug.  Ms. Larissa was one of the sweetest women I've ever known when it comes to my homies family.

Now that I think about it, he's the only one besides Kross and Fats that have their mother or father at all. 

Ms.Larissa was the same complexion as Trey but had honey-brown eyes and a smile that could light up any room. 

Even though she had a smile on her face, I could tell that she was tired, her hair was styled into a messy ponytail as she rocked a Crenshaw HS t-shirt with ripped up jeans and sandals.