Chapter 1: Before the Collapse

My name is Zero.

I live alone with my younger sister, Maya, here in Russia. Our parents were murdered by thieves when I was seven, and Maya was five. We had no other family, so I took it upon myself to raise Maya.

Only I didn't think it would be so hard.

She really is headstrong; a free spirit. She is always rough housing with the neighborhood boys. I tag along mostly to protect her, and partly because I also want a piece in these games.

She literally has no morals. She has no problem when a boy punches her breast, and she likes to play dirty by bringing knives.

When she isn't fighting, she's collecting knives. She is absolutely fascinated by them, and quite skilled in using them as well.

Maya and I keep ourselves fed in street fights. We each do our part. She bets for me and I win. It isn't much, but we manage to make just enough to get by.

We always stick up for and encourage each other, which is what has allowed us to survive throughout our hardships. I would do anything for my little sister, and I know she'd do anything for me.

Hey guys, just a quick author's note here:

Thanks for clicking on my story! Yeah, I know the first chapter is horrible. I wrote this fanfic several years ago, back when I had just started writing, and yeah. It's straight up not good.

I've improved a lot since then, and have taken some time to edit almost every other chapter in this fic. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the story as it goes along. This is my first fanfic and, despite and the kinks, I'm proud of it. Have a nice day!