Chapter 17: Confessions

Ivory's POV

I watched the man as he walked away and slowly closed the door.

"Who was that man?" Zero demanded.

"I don't know." I held my hands up defensively. "I just opened the door and he was there. He looked like he was looking for something."

Zero opened the door and looked outside, probably looking for the strange EXO man. Then he closed the door and shrugged.

"Maybe he mistook our quarters for his." He smiled sympathetically and patted my head, sending a quick shrill down my spine, or where my spine would be if I had one.

"Is everything okay?" Maya asked as she entered the room.

"Everything's fine." Zero reassured her. "Just someone who mistook our quarters for his, I think."

"Alright then." She turned to me. "Are you ready to go, Ivory?"

"Yeah, I am." I replied.

"Whoa, what happened to your voice?!" She exclaimed. I had forgotten to explain what Zero made me do to it last night.

"Zero made me change my accent to avoid confusion." I answered, chuckling a bit to myself.

She glared at her brother. "You really are an asshole, aren't you?" She exclaimed, shoving his shoulder forcefully.

"Is it my fault I can hardly tell you apart during missions and stuff?" He raised his hands defensively, making me laugh.

"Whatever." She sighed before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. "Remember to get your hands checked out today. We'll be back by night time." She told him.

"They don't even hurt anymore." Zero whined. "You don't need to leave me here; I can fight just fine."

"Zero, you're taking a vacation to get your hands checked out. Ivory and I can handle ourselves." She looked at me and patted my shoulder. "Right, Ivory?"

I nodded vigorously. "Yes, of course!"

She smiled and shook her head. "Your new voice is going to take some getting used to." She teased. I scowled at her.

Zero kissed her on the cheek and gave me a hug. "Good luck out there, then." He told us. "Don't die."

"Does that even matter?" I asked. "Our Ghosts will be there to revive us if anything happens." I smiled optimistically.

Zero shook his head. "Dying isn't fun. You must have learned that the hard way, and I learned it twice." He waved us goodbye as we entered the ship.

"Umm, Ivory?" Maya motioned for me to come over.

"Yes?" I asked nervously.

"Do you happen to know how to drive a ship?" She asked uncertainly.

I shook my head. "No... that was always Zero's job." I groaned.

"And we're already off to a bad start." She sighed.

Robo appeared before me. "We can take the ship's controls for today." He said.

"That solves that, then."

~~~

"Listen to this, from an old Warlock, Osiris:" Maya's Ghost began to play a recording as we approached the moon.

"Every end crawls from the same pit, rising from the schism to swallow matter, Light, and life. It will not be stopped, but here it can be slowed. The Shrines of Oryx must be destroyed."