Chapter 21: New Companion

"Eye of a Gate Lord..." I grumbled angrily as I flew the team back to Venus.

"I wish you'd check with me before making insane promises." My Ghost approached me.

"Well, how else do you think we're gone be able to get into the Black Garden?" I asked, frustrated.

My Ghost sighed. "If we want to take down a Gate Lord, we've got to find out how these machines operate. Let's find the biggest one we can, pull out its brain, and see what we can learn about them."

"Easier said than done." Maya retorted from the back seat.

"Yeah." Ivory agreed, lying her head on my sister's lap. "We barely survived fighting off those Vex creatures earlier. Now you expect us to just find a really big one and take off its head?" I watched in amusement as Maya kicked her off.

"Do I hear whining?" I asked, trying to sound intimidating. "We're Guardians. It's our job to handle difficult tasks like these for the Traveler. We've handled difficult tasks like these before, and this will be no different. Understand?"

Both sighed and nodded, unenthusiastically.

I landed the ship in the same place as before and returned the hand cannons to Ivory as we walked out.

"Okay, there is a big Vex signature just up the coast." Robo informed. "Let's kill it--whatever it is--and bring its mind core to one of the old Academy research labs."

"So thorough." Maya snickered as she took out her fusion rifle. I took my sniper rifle and Ivory her hand cannons as our Ghosts led us through the Shattered Coast.

"Up ahead. A ridiculously large Vex emission. Sounds like what we're looking for." My Ghost mused as we approached an open field with a large group of Vex surrounding another monstrous creature.

"How fantastic..." I sighed as I motioned for Maya to start off.

She nodded and took aim with her rocket launcher, shooting the thing straight in its eye.

"Great shot!" I exclaimed as I followed her lead with my sniper rifle. "Ivory, take out the rest of the Vex around here!" I ordered. "And remember: no headshots." I glared at her for a moment, remembering our last misadventure with the Vex.

She chuckled lightly in response and ran off with her hand cannons.

"Idiot," Maya grunted angrily. "She's going to get herself killed."

"The Cyclops is too busy with us. She'll be fine." I replied calmly as I switched to my machine gun.

Ivory returned to us just a few minutes later as we finished off the Cyclops. I approached its remains and picked up what I figured the Ghosts wanted.

"Fascinating! Let's head for that research station." Maya's Ghost exclaimed, and they led us further into the field.

"Their mind cores are actually biological." My Ghost explained. "Not relative to any known life forms recorded. Maybe the Collective's research can tell us more." They led us into some sort of old laboratory.

"There's got to be a central terminal around here..." Robo mused, looking around a bit.

"Found one." Maya's Ghost exclaimed. "Let's see if we can get it to work." The three of them started scanning a computer in the center of the room.

"It's revivable." My Ghost sighed in relief. "I'll see what they discovered here."

"Vex! They're coming!" Robo cried.

"Let's go, girls!" I shouted as I reloaded my machine gun.

A large wave of Vex enemies appeared. I grumbled angrily under my breath as we ducked under the window to avoid getting shot. There were no doors to hold them off, so there were a few Harpies that flew in quietly and attacked us while we were busy by the window.