Chapter 13

Alessa's POV

I woke up just in time to see Selden slam Dax into the wall. "Dax!" I yelled, quickly getting up and rushing toward him. He picked himself up and gave Selden a murderous expression. He turned to me, his eyes softening.

"Love, you shouldn't be up," he said, approaching me and cupping my cheeks.

"Are you okay?" I asked, looking up at him. He smiled and nodded.

"It takes more than that to hurt me, princess," he said, making me scowl at the last word. He chuckled and pecked my lips.

"Don't dare approach us," I said just as Selden was going to make a move. He stiffened as I turned to face him.
"What the hell, man? Why'd you attack my BOYFRIEND?" I asked, making him growl.

"You're-"

"I'm not yours. You rejected me," I stated calmly.

"You're having his fucken child! You're my mate! You're supposed to be bearing MY CHILD!" he bellowed. My eyes widened as his words registered.

"Wh-what?" I croaked. Child?

"How could you? You let him fuck you. You allowed him to get you pregnant. After I told you I was dying, you get pregnant....I guess you are a slut after all," he stated so dejectedly. I winced at his words. Then, I remembered his last words before I blacked out.

I'm dying.

I felt my heart sink. Regret filled his eyes. "You're dying...what do you mean?" I asked, blinking away my unshed tears. He looked away.

"My blood was injected with some poison from the hunters. I was attacked a few months back. My time is running out. I'm becoming weaker every time....Alessa, I'm sorry. You're not a slut, and I regret rejecting you. I know it's probably too late, but I truly am sorry," he said. Then he turned and walked out of the door. I was going to go after him, but Dax pulled me back. I turned to look at him.

"I have to talk to him. I can help him. It's my duty," I said, pleading Dax.
"You can't. Not in your condition," he sighed.

"What-"

"You're pregnant," he interrupted. I froze. My eyes widened for the second time today. "You used your powers earlier, but it was too much for you and the baby...our baby," he said, smiling slightly. I was too shocked to react. It hadn't yet sunk in. His smile faded as he noticed my reaction..or lack of.

"Our baby..." I whispered. Never had I imagined myself with a child. My life was too messed up to ever think of it. I smiled when it finally sunk in. "You're going to be a dad," I said, smiling at him. His smile returned, and he picked me up and spun me.

"Our baby.." he spoke as he set me down, his arms still around my waist.
"You've made me the happiest man alive," he said, bringing me in for a long, heart-warming kiss. As we pulled away, I got serious.

"I have to find a way to save him," I said.

"You'll risk yourself and our baby," he said sternly. I shook my head.

"There has to be a way. I'm not letting him die. It's my duty," I said.

"Your duty right now is to be safe and healthy. You just got your powers back. You haven't become used to them. You have to be careful," he replied.

"I'm not going to stand here and let him die. I am the protector of werewolves. It is my duty to keep them safe," I countered. "Please, let me try. I won't put our baby in danger. He or she already has a shield around them. It's their own protection, their own power. My mother told me about it. That's how I was born. The Goddess granted her protection to my generation. It's part of the agreement all royals made with the Goddess. Now, I have to go help Selden. Okay?" I said, cupping his cheek. He sighed but nodded. He took my hand and walked with me out of the room. I sensed him in what I assumed was now his office. I knocked, but no reply came. I could sense something off. I forced the door open. I quickly ran to Selden's body. He was lying next to the desk looking awfully pale. Dax was at my side, picking Selden up and setting him on the desk. I checked for a pulse. Relief flooded me as I felt it, but it was weak.

"I can heal his body temporarily. I gained a few of your powers when you healed my wound a few years ago," Dax told me. I nodded, knowing Selden needed this. Dax stepped forward and set his hand over Selden's chest, where his heart was. I remember doing that so many times before. I watched as a light blue hue left Dax's hand and traveled all over Selden's body. I still had Selden's wrist when I felt his pulse strengthen. I watched as color returned to his cheeks.

"Thank you, Dax," I said. He nodded, slightly stumbling. I gripped his shoulders to keep him from falling. "Sit, love. You need to regain your strength." I pulled him to the chair, and he slumped onto it. He pulled me onto his lap, making me squeak. He nuzzled into my neck. After a few minutes, I pulled away. "You need your strength, babe. Besides, I need to check Selden," I said, pecking Dax's cheek. He reluctantly let go, and I got off his lap.

"I love you," he said as I made my way to Selden. I smiled and turned to him.

"I love you, too," I replied. I turned back to Selden, who was stirring. I checked his pulse again to see it was back to normal.

"Alessa?" Selden croaked.

"I'm here to help," I stated firmly, leaving no room for argument.
------------------