Chapter 12

Dax's POV

I observed her chest rise and fall slowly. I caressed her soft skin, missing her beautiful brown eyes with golden specks. One of my hands was gripping her smaller one. She barely had much warmth in her. I leant down and kissed her head, running my hand softly down her cheek. "What happened, love?" I whispered. I thought back to the doctor's words.

Coma.

I remember how my body froze, my grip on his coat loosened, and my hands went back to my side. I remember how he raced out of the room, going toward the poor excuse of an alpha. I didn't know what was wrong with him, why he blacked out, but I didn't care. As soon as the room to my angel's door opened, I bombarded the doctor with questions. And now...

Here I was. Waiting for her to wake up from that deep sleep that kept her beautiful eyes from opening. That kept me from seeing them. I focused back on her, on how peaceful she looked. I inhaled slowly, and I smelled something odd. Confusion clouded my mind. It was her sweet scent, but it had a tint of something else. I searched my memory for any information that could have caused this change. Then it dawned on me. But-

I heard the turn of the knob and immediately turned to see the former alpha, Alpha Reed, walk in. He nodded at me and then his eyes landed on Alessa. I moved aside, allowing him to sit next to her. I watched as he leaned forward and kissed her head. "What did the doctor say?" he finally asked. I frowned and looked at my angel's face.

I cleared my throat from the lump that had formed before replying, "Coma." He nodded, not looking away from the beautiful girl that had become his daughter.

"I think Selden told her," he sighed. "I told him not to. What I don't understand is why she...." he trailed off. My eyes immediately turned to look at him, my hands clenched as I realized who he was referring to.

"What did he tell her?" I asked lowly, anger seeping into my voice.

"He's dying," he said, stiffening as he said it.

"Why?" I asked, not because I cared, but because I knew how much pain Alessa would have to go through. She couldn't go through that pain, not in her condition.

"He was injected with poison by a hunter. It seems it'll slowly kill every werewolf cell in his body. His time is coming to an end," he said, pain evident in his tone. "Alessa will be devastated, despite his shitty treatment toward her," he said. I glared at his back.

"I'm taking her home-"

"This is her-" I slammed him roughly into the wall and gripped his collar tightly.

"This. Is. Not. Her. Home." I said through gritted teeth. He glared back at me, his wolf coming forward.

"She is my daughter;Therefore, this is HER home," he spat. I growled lowly, lifting him higher so that his feet barely reached the ground.

"You're not her father! Her true father assigned me to protect her and keep her safe. That's exactly what I'm going to do. And you're not about to stop me," I said. He was about to speak when I heard her whimper softly. I quickly let him go and rushed to her side. She whimpered one more time, her face full of pain before she fell silent. I took her hand, feeling her pulse slightly lower. I felt her squeeze my hand once before her hand went limp again. "Love, don't leave me again, please. Don't scare me. I'm here. Open your eyes," I said softly, caressing her cheek.

"Dax," she whispered so lowly that I barely caught it. I leant down and managed to croak out an answer.

"Yes, love. I'm here, and I'm not leaving your side. Please wake up for me. I want to see those beautiful brown orbs that I love so much," I whispered. I kissed her soft, but slightly cold lips. She seemed quite pale, and it was tearing me apart to know she was in pain. And then I remembered my discovery. "I won't let you use your powers ever again if it means that you'll get like this, especially not now," I sighed.

"What do you mean?" Reed asked, his voice a little strained. I was in no mood to talk to him. He gripped my wrist and turned me around. "Why especially now?" he asked, looking me straight in the eyes. I glared at him.

"None of your fucken business," I spat.

"It's my fucken business because that's my daughter!" he bellowed. I could sense his wolf slowly taking over as he shook violently.

"Stop," Alessa weakly said. I turned to her and she had her eyes open. "Dax," she whimpered. I leant down and kissed her softly.

"I'm here, love," I said. She gripped my shirt and shivered.

"So cold," she mumbled closing her eyes and shivering more. I wrapped her body in the sheets.

"Bring another thick blanket. NOW." I said, my voice oozing with authority. Reed said nothing and left. He came back with the blanket and nodded, leaving the room once again. I swiftly set the blanket over her. She whimpered, her body still trembling.

"Stay with me," she whispered, still shivering and pulling me toward her. I didn't argue, laying down next to her and wrapping my arms around her. Her shivers eventually subsided, and she fell asleep with her hands still gripping my shirt. I kissed her head and felt the exhaustion kicking in. I wrapped her tighter, but not tight enough to hurt her. I closed my eyes and drifted off...

Selden's POV

I woke up shivering from the cold. The thin blanket was doing nothing to warm me up. I looked around and found myself in one of the hospital-like rooms. Events from earlier came rushing to me. I shakily got up, the cold air hitting me, almost knocking me down. My body trembled, but I continued on to the door. I wanted to see Alessa. I reached the door and opened it to reveal my father. He shook his head.

"Where do you think you're going?" he said, blocking my way.

"To see Alessa. What did the doc-"

"Get back in bed. You're shivering. I bet you can barely stand," he interrupted. I shook my head, trying to stop from shivering so much. He gripped me and pushed me back. "Dax is with her. He'll take care of her just fine," he said, forcing me to lay down. A low growl escaped me. "Shut up and get some rest. I'll bring another blanket," he continued. "You're freezing," he muttered. I sighed, not having much energy to argue.

"I should have never told her," I sighed. He just looked at me and shook his head.

"I told you, but I think there's something else," he said, deep in thought. I looked up at him.

"What?" I asked. He didn't answer. Then I saw his eyes widened.

"It's...she smells different. It's almost as if she's-"

"NO!" I yelled, sitting up, temporarily forgetting about my shivering. "She's MINE! SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE CARRYING MY CHILD!!" I growled, my wolf fighting for control. I got up and gripped his shirt.

"It's the only explanation, son," he said, trying to get free. I shook my head fiercely and threw him roughly. He landed outside. I quickly strode to where Alessa was and slammed the door open. That bastard was on his feet in seconds, a glare directed my way. I strode to him and threw him against a wall.

"You fucken bastard!" I growled, lunging at him.

------