Chapter 8

I winced as my head connected to the wall roughly. I looked up to see Alessa get up with a shocked look. I immediately ran to her side, just in time to catch her as her legs gave out.

"Dax,"she whimpered. "I'm so sorry," she stated frantically. "I-"

"Shh, love. It's okay," I said, caressing her cheek. She didn't feel as hot as before, which I took as a good sign. I hugged her and planted a kiss on her soft lips. "Come on. Let's get-" she gasped, making me stop mid-sentence. Then she grunted and released a small scream. I grimaced because I knew what was to come. "I'm here, love. I want to take your pain away. Do you give me-"

"No!" she yelled, and I was sent flying back against a wall. I grunted at the impact and fell down with a thud.

"Dax!" I heard her and Sebastian yell. I got up and saw her on her knees, clutching her head with her eyes tightly shut. Sebastian went to her side before I could stop him. He, too, was sent flying. I went to help him up, ignoring the headache that had formed.

"She doesn't have control of them, yet," I told him, pulling him up. "You okay?" I asked.

"Are you?" he said. I nodded and turned to Alessa. Her small whimpers were torturous.

"Alessa, baby. I'm going to approach you, okay?" I said, taking small steps toward her. She nodded weakly, her whimpers getting weaker. I made my way toward her and picked her up in my arms. I kissed her temple as she clutched my shirt tightly, her hands in fists. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. I wiped them away, kissing her head. She gasped, and her hands were clutched close to her chest. Her small whimpers followed. Now, I thought. I rapidly focused all my energy on redirecting her pain to me. I inhaled sharply as her pain hit me full force, almost making me drop her in the process. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. I felt her soft hands caress my cheek and a warm sensation flow throughout my body. I no longer felt the pain, and I opened my eyes to see my beautiful angel smiling up at me.

"I love you, Dax. I, Alessa Sartori, give you, Daxton Vitale, the power to mark me," she said, making me confused. She turned, giving me access to her neck, which was still covered in dried blood. What I failed to notice was that my mark was not there. She smiled knowingly. "Your mark isn't there because it only triggered my powers. It will be there after you mark me again because I have accepted you as my mate...and also accepted my former mate's rejection. You can mark me now, love," she said.

"So your powers are back...permanently? And I can mark you and make you mine?" I smiled and embraced her before she could reply. "You've made me the happiest protector ever!" I said, pulling her back and kissing her soft lips. "I want it to be special, though. First, you must recover. You need to get some food in that tummy of yours," I added, pecking her lips.

"Uh...I'll have the cook prepare something, Lessi. Don't scare me like that, again. We'll postpone your leave," Sebastian said, turning to leave.

"No need. I'm fine. We'll still leave this weekend. Besides, I want to reconnect with my wolf. It'll be a good work out," she said with finality. I sighed and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"You're so stubborn, love," I muttered.

"So I've been told," she smirked. I chuckled and shook my head as I led her out of the room.

--------------------------------