Tis the Season... for Turkey

The horrifying stuffing happening below is what my dad is making. Happy Thanksgiving.

"Mum."

"Rose, we're having it."

"Stuffing is stuffing!" Rose protested. "It's not vegetarian sausage and dried cherries! I don't care what phase you're going through right now, it's— it's inhumane!"

"Hush. I'm sure Tony and your father will eat it, right?"

"No," said Tony. He was five now. Jackie scoffed and looked at Pete. Pete scratched the back of his head and cleared his throat, looking the other way.

"Oh, please!" Jackie said loudly, throwing the ingredients in the cart. "You'll love it."

Rose shared a look with her other dimensional father before leading her mother further along the isle so Pete could grab boxes of regular stuffing behind her back. Tony giggled.

"Jackie, I'm going to go get the things for the cheese dip, okay?"

"Alright, love!" Jackie called back to her husband. She turned her attention back to Rose. "So, champagne and red wine for the adults, and what for the kids?"

"I dunno," Rose said absentmindedly, looking at spices. "Soda?"

"What do you and your friends want to drink, Tony?" Jackie asked her son as her daughter was of no help to her.

"Champagne and red wine," Tony said bluntly. Rose smiled, looking at the prices of oregano.

"Very funny," Jackie said, moving on without them. "There's some sort of fancy desert that uses pears as a topping. What is it?"

The Doctor hated pears, a little voice piped up in the back of Rose's head. She ignored it. "I think it's something like a weird bread with pears," she supplied.

"Sounds gross," Jackie commented. "Are you getting that hair cut tonight?"

"Yea," Rose said as she took the oregano off the shelf. "Roots, too."

"Why are you getting a hair cut?" Tony asked her. "It looks fine."

Rose examined her long hair. "Yeah, but I like it short."

That's how you had it with the Doctor.

"Eh."

Rose was about to make a snarky comment when her phone started buzzing. It was Sidney.

"We're getting manicures," he said before she could even say hello. "Right now."

"I'm at the store."

"I'll come pick you up. Which store?"

"The high end one where all the rich people go."

"Oh, the one where your mom made an entire team of salespeople cry?"

"That's the one," Rose laughed.

"Okay. Be there in ten."

"Okay."

"You're leaving?" Tony asked, placing his hand over his heart dramatically. "During Thanksgiving shopping?"

Rose stared down at him. "You're too dramatic for your age."

"And you're too boring for yours."

"Excuse me," Rose laugh, "I work—"

"You work at Torchwood and you used to explore the universe with a hot alien that you were in love with."

"I never said I was in love with him," Rose said, turning away to cover her red face.

"You didn't have to," he said as he walked towards their mother, "it's completely obvious."