Not Bisexual

Rose Tyler had a friend. That friend also had blonde hair. She was always energetic and just generally happy to be alive. She quite reminded Rose of a childhood best friend that she had, John Smith. While his name was beyond ordinary, John was the most remarkable person she'd ever known. Until Jodie, of course.

Jodie Smith, Rose's lab partner. Jodie Smith, a girl that she knew was a raging lesbian. Jodie Smith, who loved building things and physics and solving puzzles.

Not much was known about Jodie Smith, other than that she lived with her father, was actually and brunette, and her mother lived in Barcelona with her brother. And her brother was coming to visit, or so she quietly told Rose, clearly over the moon about it.

"I haven't seen him in so long!" Jodie said excitedly as Xiomara blew up something behind them. They were doing something with dangerous chemicals that Rose didn't know anything about but trusted Jodie enough to take the lead, even though she knew that Jodie hadn't been paying any attention, either.

"We used to be best friends before the divorce." Her happiness level dropped momentarily before it was shot right back up. "But we've stayed in touch. He's going to be here for three months! So he'll be coming to school with us, too. He'll be here later today. I really think you'll like him, he's a lot—"

Rose was suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to kiss her. So she did. Jodie cut herself off with a squeak and a touch of Rose's hand. Jodie held Rose's neck as Rose gripped the fabric of Jodie's navy shirt. A whistle brought Rose back to reality and she ripped away from Jodie.

Jodie unconsciously followed her before realizing what just happened.

"Rose," she pleaded as Rose turned around and moved quickly to the door.

Rose ran out of the classroom and didn't stop running until she was in the auditorium, the only place where she could hide easily. She slid down the wall and touched her lips.

What just happened?

————————————————

Rose only had two classes with Jodie, thank God. One was first hour Art, which Jodie wasn't there for. The next was science, which she was there for. But she was talking to a tall man with brown hair. Rose set her things down on the desk, which she unfortunately shared with Jodie. She and Jodie made eye contact for one awkward moment before she cleared her throat and was just about to start sketching in her notebook when—

"Rose Tyler?"

She looked up into the face of the brown haired man. Bright brown eyes, a hook nose, thin lips, truly amazing hair—

"John?" Rose heard herself exclaiming.

"Rose!" John laughed, catching Rose as she threw herself into his arms. Rose pulled away and held his face in her hands.

"You're Jodie's brother?" she asked. He nodded.

"I had no idea the Rose that she was always talking about was you!"

"Oh, John, it's so good to see you!" She hugged him again.

"Do you want to meet up after school?" John suggested. "Chips are on me."

Rose's cheeks hurt. "Yeah, I would love that."

John smiled, his hands in his pockets. They looked at each other happily, obviously something between them. Jodie cleared her throat.

"Rose, you never said you knew John," she said conversationally.

"You never said his name," Rose pointed out. Jodie seemed a little hurt.