Comfort In The Crushing Darkness

The Doctor's POV

"If you talk to Rose, just tell her... tell her I- oh, she knows..." I said from thousands of feet underground. I took a deep breath and stepped forward, but Rose's voice filled my helmet.

"Tell me what, Doctor? Coms are up again." She sounded normal, but I picked up the hope and desperation in her voice.

"You know," I said.

"No, I don't. Just say it," she whispered. I sighed.

"I suppose... if it might be my last chance to say it... Rose Tyler," I took a deep breath and readied myself for what I was about to do. What I was about to say. What I might destroy with these fragile words that must not be thrown around lightly. They must be applied with care. They must not be said too much, but not too little. They hold the power of love and sex and so much more within them. So much power. And with this power comes the ability to destroy. It has the power to destroy the messenger and the receiver all at once, but it depends on the couple. Not that Rose and I were a couple.

"I love you. More than the entire universe. And I don't say that often enough. In fact, this is long overdue. Rose Tyler, I am in love with you, and I don't care what anyone or anything has to say about it. I love you, and I will take every opportunity I can to tell you. I want to be with you. Only if you allow." What I said was true. What I didn't know is that I said it out loud.

"I love you, Doctor," was the only whispered reply. I waited for the 'but', only it never came.

"Rose Tyler," I mused, "that is brilliant. Absolutely fantastic. You are fantastic."

"Oh, I know," she said without missing a beat. "And you are, too. Now go beat whatever is going on down there. And if you don't make it up," her voice cracked, "I will make my way down there and kill you myself." I smiled at the ground.

"I would expect nothing less of you, Rose."

"Good. That's good, Doctor. I love you." A soft smile spread across my face.

"And I you."