NO SPIDERS!

"We're not getting a snake." 

"Come on! Why not?" 

"Because they eat mice! Mice are cute!" 

"Rose, you eat beef. Cows are cute, too." 

Rose huffed and looked around the pet shop. It was just a normal pet shop, on Earth. She pointed away from the snakes. 

"What about a hedgehog?" 

The Doctor bounced over to the hedgehog and looked at it. 

"Jawn," he said. 

She laughed. "What?" 

The Doctor stood up and pointed at the hedgehog proudly. "We'll call him Jawn." He looked over her should and ran over to whatever it was that he was looking at. Rose saw, to her horror and disgust, that the Doctor was laughing giddily as he looked at a tarantula. Her mouth was dry. 

"No." 

"Rose," he whined. 

"It's a spider!" she tried to reason. He nodded. 

"Yes. It is a spider. Good job, Rose." 

She laughed and hit his shoulder. 

"I'm sorry, but I won't have a spider as a pet." 

The Doctor pouted. "Then why are we here?" 

She threw her hands up. "Because you wanted to come here!" 

He wrapped his arms around her waist and stretched to put his head on top of hers.  She leaned into him and looked at the tarantula. She shuddered and pushed him off. 

"Why don't we go to a humane society or something?"  

He frowned. "What's that?" 

She took his hand and grinned. "You'll love it." 

Half an hour later, the Doctor was poking at a dog through the cage. 

"Why are there so many animals?" he laughed as the dog, Sunshine, one of the biggest, thickest dogs Rose had ever seen, licked him. She smiled. He was really cute. 

"Animals are given up here," she explained. He looked at her, puzzled. 

"Their owners don't want them," she clarified. "So they go here and hopefully get adopted by someone else." 

The Doctor looked down at Sunshine sadly before looking up at her. "We need to buy them all." 

"No," she said quickly, needing to shut down this train of thought before it went off the rails. "Then there'd be no animals for anyone else." 

He pouted. "How many can we get?" 

Rose shook her head. "Three." 

"Her!" he said happily, pointing at Sunshine. 

"Okay," she giggled. "But I want two cats, okay?" 

"Okay! The kitten nursery is over here!" 

He started walking toward the kitten nursery, but Rose grabbed his hand. "No, they'll get adopted. We're getting two adult cats." 

"Why?" 

"Because everyone wants the kittens," she said sadly. "No one wants the grown-ups." 

"That's sad." 

She nodded. 

"I mean, I'm over 900 years old! No one wants me." 

He was obviously joking and Rose stared at him. "You're right," she deadpanned. "No one wants you." 

And then she turned around and walked toward the door to the cats. She felt him take her hand. 

"You want me," he teased. 

"I want you," she admitted, kissing him lightly. 

When they walked out of the store, they held Sunshine by a leash and two cats in two different carriers. A white cat named Appa and a tuxedo cat named Momo.  

It took everyone a while to get used to the TARDIS, but a couple of weeks later, Rose and the Doctor were cuddling, reading, with Sunshine sleeping by their feet, Momo on Rose's lap, and Appa near their heads. 

"This was the best idea we've ever had," the Doctor whispered, kissing the top of her head. She nodded. 

"Yeah." 

"I still want that spider." 

"No!"