Chapter 30~ As You

The more time I spent with aunt Evie, the more I was more confused on who was actually sane between us; she switched moods and languages so fast, it could be considered scary. Now, sitting here next to her, playing chess for over half an hour during this beautiful late evening, my brain was physically tired.

"Do you think sacrificing your pawn is a good idea?" She questioned, eyeing me with her big, wide eyes. I dropped the pawn; my last pawn actually and studied the board again, critically. I had picked up the knowledge of chess from my Dad, it was one of the few things we bonded over before he died, and yet, I had never met a player like aunt Evie.

Aunt Evie told you all the possible alternatives and consequence of any action taken and yet, she was clearly winning this game.

"Yes, I'm sure," I concluded, moving the pawn two spaces forward without a second thought. She was trying to get to my head and I wouldn't allow her.

Not that she wasn't already distracting me with her current outfit, she was dressed like a palace jester now, her auburn hair tucked under a bright yellow cap with a big, blue ball at the tip. The hippie beads and neon pink flip flops were present too, completing the ever weird trainwreck. It was like absurdity was her thing.

"You never underestimate the pawn," she mused, softly. Her voice sounding child-like in the lonely library. "It could be anything; even the queen." With that, she eliminated my pawn and flicked it off the board faster than I could say 'weird.'

I observed the game quietly and realized she was right, sacrificing that pawn wasn't a good idea and I was currently between a rock and a hard place. I lifted my hand to the King, deciding to flee or at least, try to avoid her when I heard the voice that never failed to make my breathing falter whenever I heard it. He always managed to take my breath away over and over.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he murmured into my ear and I twisted so fast that I was in danger of whiplash to face him. I studied his beautiful facial features wondering when he got home, normally, I would have felt his presence in the room but he had completely snuck up on me.

He had a hand draped across my shoulder but his eyes weren't on me, they were on the chessboard and he was grinning as though he had just heard a most interesting joke.

"Aunt Evie, play fair sometimes, would you?" He moved my Bishop, cocking his head at aunt Evie to make her move. I still didn't know how it happened but Gerard had taken control of the game within a minute. He quietly made his way through his aunt's strategically placed statues with such pace that it left me in awe.

This was what they meant by geniuses playing chess.

"Checkmate," he said coolly, less than three minutes later. "Rina wins."

Aunt Evie stroked her chin thoughtfully, looking like she could not believe what just happened and I couldn't resist laughing at the odd, blue ball as it bobbed up and down at the slightest movement of her head.

"How did you guess what I was doing?" She asked her nephew, still stroking her chin thoughtfully.

Gerard took my hand, pulling me from the uber comfortable armchair, making me get to my feet before he replied the question aunt Evie directed at him.

"I know you," he scoffed. "You just love mind games."

Her reply was smooth and soft. "I must have thought you very well then." Then she threw her head back, releasing peals of manic laughter while Gerard just pulled me away quietly.

"Come with me, I wanna show you something," he leaned down to murmur in my ear, his lips taking my earlobe and lightly pulling on it. I turned to face him, stood on my tiptoes and pressed a kiss to his lips before nodding in approval to his offer.