Chapter 19 ~ So

Flashback continued.

The wind was picking up and Lance and I parted when we got to his street, my house was still further down. I slung my heavy bag over my shoulders and increased my pace to get home before the rain started. I kept wondering how Lance managed to carry both our bags and run faster than I did.

Nylons and other types of debris blew in the breeze and people moved about hurriedly with a certain degree of alarm, as I contemplated where I could seek cover if the rain did start before I got home.

I passed by old, Mrs Rosedale's apartment and noticed the frail, white-haired woman wave me over. Mrs Rosedale was one of those old ladies that baked a lot and sat by the window knitting all day and there was also the fact that she had thirteen cats all named after all her favourite celebrities. People generally avoided her but I thought she was pretty cool and I even cat-sat for her sometimes.

I assessed her frail form in the pink dressing gown, with her white tabby, Whitney, lounging by her white, bunny slippers clad feet before walking over, wind roaring in my ears.

"Hey, Mrs Rosedale!" I yelled, knowing she wouldn't be able to hear me well due to the ruckus the wind was making. My hair was blowing into my mouth and I pulled it into a ponytail which drifted in the wind.

"Karina, come in!" She was equally yelling though her voice wasn't nearly as loud as mine. "You can stay here, the rain will start before you get home, I just baked your favourite, double chocolate chip cookies!" She reached for the table beside her and raised a clear container holding some delicious looking cookies.

This was a tempting offer but I couldn't miss seeing my Dad.

"Next time, Mrs R!"

She frowned, looking extremely worried. "Are you sure?"

I nodded, smiling to reassure her and stretching out my hand to accept the cookie container she was holding out.

"Thanks, Mrs R!" I had already turned and was dashing down the street, the excitement of seeing my Dad energizing me. Within a few minutes, I was closing the door behind me in relief and any sign of relief disappeared immediately I took a whiff of the air. I could smell the nauseating stench of smoke and alcohol meaning one thing, mom was home and Dad wasn't.

I think I just made a grave mistake by coming home tonight.

On further inspection, I found the kitchen completely trashed and the leftover chilli that I had been planning on eating for dinner was gone. Guess who was having cookies for dinner? The dirty dishes were piled up in the sink waiting for me and I could guess that mom had company with her.

It was probably that sleazebag, Jake who seemed to always be over here anytime she was home. She and Jake mainly drank alcohol, smoked and engaged in wild make out sessions which led to loud sex on the couch.

No child should hear their mother dirty talk while being nailed on the couch.

I ignored the dishes and the evil stench of the house, deciding to just disappear into my room without bothering to see her. Glad that the rain was now pounding steadily, I padded softly through the passage, only peeping in to see my mother in scanty clothing sucking on Jake's face. It seemed like there were more people in there but I didn't care enough to check.

My mom ran her hands through Jake's mousy brown hair while his roaming hands were cupping her butt through the short, red dress she had on. I retched internally, holding vomit and immediately froze on the spot when Jake's eyes suddenly landed on me.