Chapter 9: Odd Things Were Adding Up

Lisa could still recall the words that changed her life forever. It may be as simple as when her father told her that Santa Claus was in fact, not real and that it was only him who put those candies on the big red sock at her door. She remembered how she cried that night knowing that she won't get to see Rudolph the red nose reindeer or ride Santa's flying sleigh all the way to north pole. Or it may be as big as how her father sat down one Sunday and told her, eye to eye, that he was going to marry Chaeyoung's mother.

Those moments, as well as the words that were said, changed her life forever. Whether it was for the good like when YG told her that she was going to debut as a solo artist or bad like how Irene told her that they should break up, all of it was the reason why her life ran into a different direction.

That's why Lisa knew that when these three words escaped Chaeyoung's lips, she knew that it would change her life again.

"We're getting married!"

If Lisa was being honest, she always thought that she would be the first to marry between her and Chaeyoung or that her stepsister would probably marry some rich guy and live somewhere in Europe after that.

But her sister getting married wasn't the biggest revelation that Lisa had heard that night, because first of all, she never even thought that her sister was... not straight at all and second was the fact that she was actually going to marry Doctor Jisoo.

"But how?!" Lisa exclaimed as she suddenly had the urge to bottoms up the glass of champagne that she was holding.

Chaeyoung bit her lip and look down while Doctor Jisoo (or Lisa might need to call her just Jisoo) was holding her hand as if she was trying to keep her steady.

"We've been dating for a couple of months-"

"Months?! Just months?!"

Lisa could feel the rising anger coming out of her and the champagne was not at all helping her calm down. Jennie might have sensed it because Lisa suddenly felt the brunette's warm arms encircling around her waist.

"Hey, why don't we all sit down and have a nice chat." Jennie told them, trying to lighten the mood. She gestured towards the couch at the end corner where fewer people were hanging around.

They were at some bar that Chaeyoung had rented for the after-party celebration of her exhibit's success. It was exclusive and only Chaeyoung's closest friends had been invited as well as their parents.

For the first couple of minutes, everything was normal and everybody seemed like they were having fun... except for Lisa who was still in the process of understanding that the reason why Doctor Jisoo was the inspiration behind Chaeyoung's paintings and the muse of her masterpiece was simply because they were dating.

But of course, that wasn't the only thing that bothered Lisa because never she had thought that 'marriage' and 'chaeyoung' can be used in the same sentence, not to mention that 'jisoo' suddenly came out of nowhere and made the situation more complex to process and understand.

She felt like everything was spinning and she couldn't even keep up, the only thing that kept her sane was that Jennie was there to hold and calm her down.

"Like I said, we've been dating for a couple of months and I didn't tell you sooner because I know how you'd react..." Chaeyoung tried to explain as they sat on the opposite love seat couch. Lisa was sitting beside Jennie.

"How'd I react? Chaeng, we tell each other everything!"

"You were in a bad shape and I didn't want-"

"You think I can't handle it. You think I'm too weak and too bitter to be happy for you. You think I'd break just because you are happily dating while I'm miserable because Irene dumped me. You think I'm pathetic and sensitive."