Chapter 16: Curiosity Killed the Cat

Lisa woke up with a start. She dreamed yet again of a tragic wedding that made her breathless and yearn for something or someone that she had no clue of.

Jennie was lying beside her, sleeping peacefully, unaware of Lisa's newfound revelation of her identity.

When the brunette came home earlier from the groceries, Lisa decided to hold herself and pretended that everything was the same. She kept her mouth shut, and go on with the day.

If Jennie did notice any differences from the way she acted, the brunette must have not focused on it, which made Lisa quite relieved.

Confrontation was one of the things that Lisa was not good at. She hated every second of voicing her concerns out, she didn't like to be put into a spotlight for a reason that would put her into an awkward situation. The only spotlight she wanted was when she was on stage, and not the one that would make her mind to explode because of too much thinking.

She was suddenly pulled out of her thoughts when Jennie stirred beside her, and slowly opened her eyes to look for Lisa into the darkness of the room.

Jennie's arms snaked through her waist, wrapping her into an embrace.

"Are you alright, love?" Jennie whispered so softly right into her ears.

Lisa took a deep breath and nodded. Her lips tightly shut as if she was forcing herself not to speak out, afraid of what her lips might tell.

"Are you sure?"

Lisa nodded again.

It took some moments before Jennie finally believed her, dropping her head back into the pillow to sleep while her arms still wrapped around her.

Every time she closed her eyes, the words written on the paper she saw earlier kept coming back into her mind, making her awake all throughout the night.

Lisa did not understand any of it. She was puzzled, stuck into a piece that would not answer all her questions, instead it made her asked for so much more.

Her relationship with the brunette was something else. She knew her as a service person who helped her during her dark time and she knew her now as someone that accompanies her through her lonely nights, someone who held her when the nightmares came, and someone who would shush her with her warm, soft lips to make her forget about everything for a while.

Lisa knew that she didn't know all the things about Jennie. But she knew some, like how Jennie was the most caring and loving person she ever met, and it was enough for her to trust the brunette and to let her into her life.

She stared at the woman lying beside her. Lisa knew her as Jennie Kim. But the name written on the paper said otherwise.

Jennie Kim-Manoban.

Anyone who knew how to read can put two and two together, but Lisa was still in the stage of shock, and with that, she didn't know what or how to react.

Was Jennie related to her? Was she her wife?

But even the question that was forming in her mind sounded absurd. How could Jennie become her wife if her last relationship was with Irene? Such a thing was not possible. Lisa tried to disregard the idea of it, but her mind just couldn't contain not to be intrigued.

So when morning came and when Jennie got out to attend to some meetings that Lisa still didn't know of, she took it as an opportunity to look for answers.

She first scanned through her things, rereading the letter over and over to make sure that she was not just hallucinating. The second thing she did was to look for some clues, and when nothing came up, even though it was a little against her will, she grabbed her car keys as well as the spare key of Jennie's apartment (that the brunette secretly put on the chain of Kai's necklace, thinking that Lisa was too busy to see the process of it), and drove off.