Chapter 5: Some Things Don't Add Up

It was already Tuesday and Lisa was at a cafe just below her building, eating lunch with her step-sister who became so unusually quiet. Well, not too quiet, but it was still uncommon for the chipmunk aka Park Chaeyoung. It even seemed like they switched souls because Lisa was the one who couldn't stop talking... or more like ranting about the one and only Jennie Kim, while Chaeng was only busy chewing her food and kept on looking at her phone screen from time to time. And it annoyed Lisa.

"Okay, spill the tea." Lisa said, crossing her arms on her chest.

Chaeng looked up to her. "Huh? Why? I'm drinking it."

Lisa huffed and gave her a not-giving-a-shit-look but Chaeng only shrugged and took a sip of her still hot chamomile tea.

"Chaeng! I told you to spill the tea as a metaphor, I did not mean it literally." Lisa let out a frustrated groan. "What is wrong with you?"

"I just had a very stressful week at work, don't mind me." Her step-sister reasoned out, finally turning off her phone and put it inside her purse. "So what are you saying, again? Jennie did what?"

Lisa took a moment to really stare at her step-sister and saw how tired she looked, there were bags under her eyes and even her hair and makeup weren't perfectly done. Her clothes were a little baggy and she looked like she didn't shower for three days.

There really was something wrong with Chaeng and Lisa was too afraid to ask, she knew Chaeng wouldn't tell her the truth. So with a sigh, she continued her story about Jennie.

"She said yes when I asked her to be my date on Wednesday - I mean, tomorrow. And then the 'unexpected thing was when I asked her if she has some dresses to wear, I didn't expect her to literally have a whole closet of Chanel dresses. It's insane. She's insane." Lisa explained.

"What's so insane about it?" Chaeng asked, still nonchalant.

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Aren't you even curious why or how she owned those dresses that cost more than my apartment's monthly rent?"

"Probably because she can afford it?" It was not a sarcastic tone, but it made Lisa more annoyed with her step-sister. Chaeng was being a bitch and she was not having it.

She was expecting a full and deep conversation with Chaeng because that's what best friend's supposed to do. She wanted to talk about Jennie and the weirdness of this whole situation but it seemed like Chaeng was not interested at all.

"You know what, let's just finish the food and not talk. It would be a lot better since you have more important things to do than having lunch with your problematic step-sister."

Chaeng sighed. "Sorry lis, there's a lot of things on my mind lately and I have lots of clients these days, I don't have much time to sleep."

"Clients?" Lisa wondered. "What do you mean clients?"

"My painting business," Chaeng said like it was a matter of fact. "and also, Mr. Kim offered me an exhibit in his building in Seoul, it was overwhelming but I want this, you know."

Lisa looked at her step-sister in confusion. "Aren't you working on dad's law firm?"

Chaeng stopped sipping her tea and looked at Lisa with wide eyes. Her face looked like she was about to say something but was stuck in her own damn thoughts. She slowly put the teacup on the wooden table and wipe the side of her mouth with a napkin, a thing Lisa knew she does when she's nervous.

But it was only a matter of second before Chaeng seemed to finally collect herself and became a little too enthusiastic, opposite of what she was acting a moment ago.