• Chapter 10 •

"That was amazing." he said, leaning his head against the other boy's shoulder.

Percy just smiled.

What are you doing to me?, Nico thought.

*   *   *

On the way back to Percy's house, Nico thought about the earlier events. Percy had brought him to a magnificent nature park that was delicious to his eyes. He had then invited him to a restaurant for dinner, and it felt heartwarming that he was being such a sweetheart.

It had only hit him now that it was the happiest he's been since his family was whole and merry. When his mother Maria was still alive and real, smiling down at him, it was the warmest feeling he'd ever sensed. She always had hints of amusement in her eyes with specks of silver encircling her dark reassuring eyes. She was hypnotizingly stunning. His mother always had the remedy to the hollow pit in his heart. But she's gone now.

And Bianca...

She was the only one who knew about Nico's true feelings. She understood them and acknowledged them. She respected her brother for who he was. And she's gone too.

Gazing at Percy, who was walking ahead leading him to his dwelling, Nico's heart decided it would want to thump out of his chest. The raven-haired boy had to steady his breathing before catching up to Percy's side.

"So have you decided what movie we're going to watch?" he asked Percy. His voice betrayed his hesitation. "I was thinking Home Alone. Call me childish, but it's one of my favorite movies."

Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, Percy glanced at Nico. He just smiled. "That sounds great, Percy." Looking back at Percy, he continued. "Even if it's not Christmas." Percy laughed and grinned.

When the now familiar alleyways were in sight, Percy seemed more confident. Leading Nico through the snaking lanes and streets, the silly look of determination was still glued to his gaze. Nico didn't know why, but it sent shivers down his spine.

"We're here." Percy announced, holding out the keys to his front door. Swiftly opening, he moved aside to let Nico enter first. Giggling, Nico had to make a comment. "Wow Perce, such a gentleman."

From the corner of his eye, he could see the green-eyed boy blushing barely noticeably. But it was nothing compared to himself later on. "Get used to it, Neeks." Percy winked, smirking the slightest. Feeling the blood rushing to his face, Nico quickly averted his gaze. I'm probably a blushing mess right now, he thought, mentally scolding himself.

"So... popcorn?" Percy asked, anxious to change the subject immediately, since Nico could see he was blushing wildly too. Nodding excitedly, Nico's eyes sparkled with joy. He saw Percy falter for a moment, seeming to lose himself in Nico's very being, but that was probably the object of his own ignorant imagination.

"My parents are out tonight, and my little sister Estelle is sleeping over for a birthday party. I'm sorry you can't meet them today." Percy explained a little sorrily, but Nico just smiled and nodded.

Quickly scanning the interior of the house, Nico had to be impressed. Beautifully drawn paintings hung from the grey walls, and picture frames of the Jackson and Blofis family were placed at every small table or closet. Most of the time it showed a strikingly beautiful woman with dangling locks of brown hair with streaks of grey in them, but her jovial face seemed to make her so much younger. Nico assumed it was probably Percy's mother, since she had the same endearing smile. There was also pictures of a sympathetic looking man with salt-and-pepper hair and comforting eyes. Other ones had pictures of a small girl with light brown hair that seemed golden in the light, and Nico immediately connected her as Estelle. In only one photograph appeared a man with a surfer look, shoulder-length dark hair and gentle sea-green eyes full of turmoil. His striking resemblance with Percy surprised Nico, so he assumed he was his father or some sort. Taking his eyes off the walls, he looked at the other teen present.

Grinning, Percy rushed to the kitchen, where he took out a bag of un-popped popcorn and was that blue food dye?  Laughing quietly, Nico followed behind.

Percy was literally a stranger two weeks ago. Their only encounters were a few bumps in the slithering corridors of Goode High School and Nico interrupting Percy's crying fit. It seemed pretty pathetic now that that was how they met.

But it didn't matter anymore. Now Percy was here and they were friends. Yet that word rolled off his tongue harshly and left a bitter taste.

"Nico!" Percy exclaimed, still smiling.

Snapping his head up, Nico looked at Percy, standing in the kitchen's doorframe, holding blue popcorn. "What's with you and the color blue?" he laughed whole-heartedly, pointing at the bowl in between Percy's graceful hands.

The green-eyed boy tilted his head in confusion, and Nico had to stifle another laugh. He suppressed a smile. 

He could have sworn to see Percy blush once again, but it was probably from embarrassment. "Follow me", Percy said, leading Nico to his living room.

Entering the decently decorated room, Percy set his bowl of aquamarine colored popcorn onto a glass table, which Nico was impressed wasn't broken yet. After all, it was Percy Jackson. But moving the thought aside, he studied his whereabouts. 

The living room was painted a blueish grey, and on the ceiling hung a miniature chandelier that lighted the room of a thousand lights. Pearly decorations brightened the room even more, giving off a majestical look to the already vast living room. Clearly, a lot more thought had been put in this particular place of the house.

"So, Home Alone?" Percy asked, glancing at him. Nico looked back at where Percy was. He was standing in front of the TV, CD in hand. "Yes, please" he replied, still laughing inside about his choice to watch a Christmas movie in September.

"Wow, you have manners. If my mom was here, she would fuss about acting more like you." Percy remarked, rolling his eyes half-heartedly at the last part. Nico had to let out a soft giggle, which surprised him. He didn't make that sound often.

Making himself comfortable, Percy plopped down on the couch. Nico imitated his actions, after turning off the lights which the green-eyed boy thanked him about.

As the movie settled in, Nico couldn't stop thinking about the boy sitting right next to him.

He couldn't believe that all of this was happening.

Exhaling shakily, Nico had to refrain himself from whipping out his phone and call Hazel. But now that he was thinking about her, he thought she was probably out with Frank on some romantic date. He couldn't help feeling kind of wistful, even though he felt deeply happy for her. She had lost so much in the past month, yet she decided it was time for her to move on already.

When am I going to?

Forcing himself to concentrate on the movie, Nico glanced at Percy, who seemed lost in thought. He was staring into the distance, not paying attention to the movie the slightest bit.

Even though Nico was curious about what he was thinking about him, he decided that asking him wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. So instead, he reached out his hand and plucked a handful of blue popcorn.

The aquamarine food dye tinted his hand a slight blueish shade, making him 5% Smurf, but it didn't bother him. After all, it was Percy's popcorn.

But that thought made him even more self-conscious. He thought about why he was even here in the first place, a million questions running inside his head. What am I doing here? I didn't even tell my parents! Oh no, I'm dead-dead.

But his thoughts got interrupted when a familiar caller ID flashed on his phone.

heyo

so dis was kinda rushed so i apologize lol

art cred: viria

tHoUgHtS?

stay chill!

-drakonator