• Chapter 3 •

As soon as he sent it, Percy immediately wished he hadn't.

The picture of Annabeth appeared in his mind, warning him not to jump to someone else too quickly, or he would be weighing down under constant guilt.

Worried about himself, Percy pushed away the thought that he was implying feelings for a certain brown-eyed boy.

*   *   *

Blush reddened his defined cheekbones, and as he laid back down on his bed, the action was instantly followed by a notification lighting up on his phone.

It was a text from Nico.

Unsure how to react, Percy let out a very manly shriek and fumbled with his phone, trying to open his messages.

from nico💙

percy: hey

nico: hey

As he flushed red, he scrambled with the keyboard, trying to come up with a reply. But Nico beat him to it.

nico: aren't u supposed to be sleeping?

nico: its literally 1:45 in the morning

"Oh.. okay.", Percy said to himself awkwardly. Yet the way that Nico cared for him sent strange tingles down his neck and blood rushing to his face.

He hated how easily Nico could make him careful and needing for air. Typing out a reply, Percy tried to force himself calm.

percy: uh yeah but i couldn't sleep haha

percy: how bout you huh

An urge to respond with a hint of sass, but mostly care, surged through him. He wanted Nico well-rested, not just himself.

nico: touché

nico: anyways yOu should still go to sLEEp!!!

percy: aww you care for me! 

percy: but haha nope

nico: i see ur feeling better already

Percy bit back a curse. He forgot they had met by Nico interrupting his very noble meltdown session in public at midnight. Thinking about it now, he hoped he wouldn't be remembered by bawling his eyes out.

For a second, he was unconscious about how cautious he was being with Nico, and how easily the dark-haired boy could make him rethink his whole life.

percy: uhh yea

percy: u know what, maybe i should go to sleep

nico: 🙄

nico: 'night 

percy: good night

Close call... 

He set down his phone on his night table and stared at the ceiling. Images of Nico di Angelo imposed in his mind.